CH 13

Till Death Do Us Part

Kim Rok Soo looked at the calendar in his office and then at his ring. Today was his wedding anniversary and they planned to spend the rest of their day together, when his husband would finish his errands that is. 

Cheol min worked in a research institute as the head of the department, and often was called to assist the teams as a back up medical doctor thanks to his skills and wide knowledge.

But today he was feeling restless, his guts were telling him something bad was about to happen, something....

'but what?'

Time was ticking by but his spouse didn't return. With each second passing by he grew more anxious, more fearful.

He tried to ignore the uneasiness and negative thoughts.

But his trance was broken by a call.

"Team 1 we need reinforcements, the research institute got attacked by monsters. Be quick."

Those words...He felt like his heart stopped beating for a moment.

But his body worked even before his brain could process the whole information, in no time he found himself and his team heading toward the destination.

By the time they arrived, half of the institute was already destroyed. 

He put a stone on his chest in hopes his feelings couldn't get the best of him in this delicate situation. 

Like a true leader he instructed his team, but his eyes constantly swept in his surroundings, a futile attempt to search those lively heterochromia eyes.

By the time he finished his task, his heart could only waver despite having a small hope. 

He approached a worker of the institute.

"Where is Cheol Min?"

"He is in the emergency operation room. Mr Kim"

The heavens seemed to play with him, his only comfort after his hyungs death was fighting for his life...

This much he could deduce with how fidgety people were being around him after hearing his beloved's name.

After what seemed to be an eternity doctors came out.

"Mr Kim... We apologize but your husband hasn't much time to live, it's better if you could stay with him in his last moments."

Here is the news he most feared to hear.

He entered the room just to witness his dearest breathing shallowly, he came closer to the bed and gently held his significant other's hand who looked at him with a weak smile.

This was the another heart shattering smile of one of the people he deeply cared for.

Just how many time did he witness these type of smiles, unfortunately he lost count despite his good memory.

So now only three are carved in his reminiscence.

Cheol Min looked at the man in front of him who seemed to be lost and hugged him albeit in great pain.

He knew his time has come, it was supposed to be a happy day not what it had come to be...

In his last breath he looked straight in those beautiful reddish-brown eyes and mumbled his last words.

"I...I love you"

"Don't... don't go... please "

His reply was too late Cheol min had already went limp in his arms thus not hearing his plea. 

Their wedding anniversary had become a death anniversary.

Out of my ignorance, I called you a homeland and I forgot homelands are taken away.

--- Mahmoud Darwish