In This Life, I Will Save The Duchy! Part 4

CHAPTER FOUR: THE KNIGHTHOOD CEREMONY

Whispers filled the great hall upon their arrival. 

"Is that the Grand Duke of the Lumine Duchy? I've never seen him in person before," one person asked.

"He rarely attends gatherings," another replied.

"Wow, is that the Duke's son, Chris? He's really handsome," another exclaimed, cheeks flushing.

Despite the intrigue, only a select few nobles dared to approach the duke and his son amidst the bustling crowd.

"I'm thrilled to see you here, Grand Duke. This is my son, Curtis, whom I've mentioned to you before. He just graduated from the Royal Academy and will soon be taking over the family trading company," Marquess Robert Petty approached Duke Walter and Chris with a proud smile.

"I'm delighted to finally meet the next heir of the Marquess household," Duke Walter replied warmly, extending his hand to greet Curtis. "It's an honor to meet you, Grand Duke," Curtis said with a respectful bow as he shook the Duke's hand.

"Ah, is that our young hero?" Marquess Wellington York chimed in, joining the conversation. "Nice to meet you, I'm Marquess Wellington," he greeted Chris warmly.

"Likewise, Marquess," Chris replied, returning the greeting with a bow.

"Grand Duke Walter, my wife, and I have been looking forward to meeting you," Count Ronald Hebertson and his wife, Ester, arrived at the great hall, making a beeline for the Grand Duke.

"Count, is your son also participating in the knighthood ceremony?" Duke Walter inquired politely.

"Of course. Although he was knocked out early in the Swordsmanship tournament, he's more than qualified to become a knight," Count Ronald boasted proudly.

"Is this your famous son, Chris?" The Count's eyes sparkled with admiration as he addressed Chris, who bowed in response.

"Chris, I have a young daughter who's about your age. If you don't mind—" Count Ronald began, but the Duke interrupted with a subtle cough.

"Walter, I didn't expect to see you here," a familiar voice interrupted. There was only one person who could call the Grand Duke by his first name.

"George!" Duke Walter exclaimed, turning to greet his childhood friend with a warm smile.

"Of course, I couldn't miss this ceremony. My son is receiving the Medal of Honor," Duke Walter explained.

"Chris, why don't you come visit the estate sometime and spend time with Gilbert? He's always buried in books, and it would be nice for someone like you to encourage him to learn sword fighting," Duke George Brooklade suggested eagerly.

"All right, Duke," Chris agreed, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the sudden invitation.

With a booming voice that filled the room, the herald announced, "His Imperial Majesty, King Frederick Genesis Von Lilac, and Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Eunice Bertha Von Lilac, accompanied by the Imperial Highness, Prince Nolan Lithe Von Lilac and Princess Dolly Rebecca Von Lilac."

As the imperial family entered, everyone in the room bowed respectfully.

***

The grand hall was like something out of a fairy tale, with high ceilings decorated with intricate designs and resplendent chandeliers, spreading a warm, golden light all around. Big windows along the walls let in lots of sunlight during the day, and when the sun went down, torches and little lamps lit up the room with a cozy glow.