Chapter 1: Bloodshed

Three years.

It had been three years since they were turned into these abominations.

DogDay wasn't certain of this. It somehow felt like an eternity and a blink of an eye at the same time, but they believed what the scientists told them.

It had been three years, and yet the Smiling Critters endured.

That's the best way DogDay could put it.

They were no longer children, they were experiments, and rarely got to see the sunlight or their former friends above. They had all tried to resist the urge for bloodshed.

Well, not every Smiling Critter had tried.

DogDay shuddered at the thought. He and the other Critters hardly ever saw each other either, each of them spent most of their days in their own cage, surrounded by their colourful yet dull padded walls and floor.

DogDay lay down, staring at the ceiling, with no emotion behind his stitched smile.

There was enough food for all of them. There was no denying that. However, the toys were designed to consume - and crave - one thing only: raw meat.

There was a room above which was filled with fridges stuffed with meat. It was enough to satisfy their hunger for a while, but their new bodies always wanted more, and they would suffer from agonizing pain if they ate too much or too little.

The next day, they were sent up to Playcare to play with the other kids for a few hours.

"DogDay..." Hoppy Hopscotch suddenly appeared behind him, her eyes wide with fear, as if she had seen a ghost, "Can I tell you something? I don't know who else to tell, and I don't want to alarm the kids."

"Yeah." DogDay muttered, trying to sound calm. The other Critters looked up to him as a brave leader, since he was the oldest.

Hoppy took a deep breath.

"I think there's something wrong with CraftyCorn," Hoppy whispered nervously, like she was afraid that the unicorn would hear them. "She's been acting very hostile towards the kids."

"I'm sure she's fine-" DogDay comforted her.

"And she needed red, but we had run out." Hoppy looked down. "She accused the children with her of hiding more red."

DogDay didn't know how to react.

"The kids looked petrified. I think she even started attacking them... Luckily I found a red pen on another table, and that was enough to distract her." She said.

"Did...did she say anything?" DogDay asked, looking over at CraftyCorn, who was still painting, "Did she apologize?"

Hoppy shook her head. "No. I mean, she hasn't said a word about it since. She's never been so savage like that. This place has only brought misery to us, I wish we were kids again. My old friends don't recognize me. I'd rather be dead than have to live like this every day."

"Don't say that," DogDay said as he looked into her eyes, "It'll get better, trust me."

DogDay felt himself tremble at the thought. They had no hope of escaping the nightmare. He was lying to himself, food for the toys was running low, as well as their sanity, and the Smiling Critters were not enduring as well as he told himself. They needed to be free.