Chapter Five.

Since writing in her journal about her plan for the summer, Kenzie's mind was spinning with possible outcomes and ideas that could help aid her in her mission. She knew that she had to be sneaky about everything as Jeff was pretty smart and she knew that he might catch on if she acted any differently than normal. It was going to be hard as she was excited for what was to come; so excited that as soon as her phone read 6:30 am, she pulled up Zarah's contact info and pressed the call button.

Kenzie sat and waited for what felt like ages before Zarah answered the phone. She wasn't at all happy to be woken this early.

"One good reason and I won't murder you," Zarah grumped as she put her phone to her ear.

"Would you settle for an I miss you?" Kenzie asked with a hint of teasing in her tone.

"No. What do you want?" Zarah replied and Kenzie gasped dramatically.

"I am wounded that you think I want something," Kenzie told her friend as a small chuckle escaped her lips.

Zarah rolled her eyes and pulled the phone away from her ear as she felt a yawn coming on.

"You just rolled your eyes at me didn't you?" Kenzie asked, knowing her friend all too well.

"Just tell me what you want so I can go back to bed," Zarah responded.

"Ok, ok. I need your help with something," Kenzie said and Zarah took a deep breath.

"You get rejected by someone?" Zarah questioned sarcastically.

"Hey, I will have you know that I am a great catch," Kenzie defended and Zarah burst out laughing.

"That's a good one, Ken," Zarah said through her laughter.

"Seriously Zar, I am, but no, I need your help with something else," Kenzie told her.

"Alright, jokes aside, what is so important that you need to call me this early?" Zarah asked as things settled down and she could sense her friend's eagerness.

"So the other day Uncle Jeff was teaching me how to surf and-" Kenzie started just before Zarah cut her off.

"I bet you fell over," Zarah said out loud without meaning to.

"Oi," Kenzie replied.

"Sorry, go on," Zarah said.

"I was knocked off my board by someone and I sprained my ankle. Anyway, we went home after that and when we got back to Jeff's, there was a moving truck in the driveway next door," Kenzie explained.

"So you did fall," Zarah answered, making Kenzie roll her eyes this time.

"Really? That's what you took from that?" Kenzie asked, somewhat dumbfounded but not entirely surprised.

"Kenz, it's me you're talking to. Yes, that's what I took from that," Zarah responded.

"You're right. I shouldn't be surprised at this point," Kenzie joked.

"Hilarious. Anyhow, what does a moving truck have to do with you needing my help?" Zarah asked.

"Zar, the person moving in was my uncle's old flame, Liz," Kenzie said, finally getting to the point.

"Are you serious!?" Zarah shouted a little too loudly. She quickly covered her mouth and both girls remained quiet for a minute just in case Zarah's parents came into Zarah's room and told the girls to get off the phone.

"I'm not kidding and get this, Mom told me that Jeff and Liz had talked about getting married at one point," Kenzie said as a burst of energy coursed through her veins.