Chapter Fourteen.

Walks of shame in your forties seems a little silly but what else do you call it when you've stayed out all hours, knowing full well that your niece is at home probably worried sick about you because you were too preoccupied to send her a message to let her know that you'd be home later than expected and that she didn't need to wait up for you but wait up she did until she couldn't stay awake and fell asleep on the couch waiting for your return.

In a way Jeff felt bad but he also felt on top of the world. He hadn't been dating Capri for exceptionally long but when he was with her, he felt alive and desired. It stroked his ego in a way that no woman had ever done before, not even Liz.

Sure he still had feelings for Liz but at this point, he didn't know if it was out of pity for her or if he still wanted her in his life. It was something he was still trying to figure out but for now, he just needed a shower and a long nap after the night of 'fun' he had with Capri.

"Where have you been?" Kenzie said as she slammed the fridge door shut just as Jeff walked past it. He hadn't even seen or heard her which would explain why he jumped about ten feet in the air when she made her presence known.

"You scared me." He said, ignoring her question.

"I can tell. Where were you?" Kenzie asked again. She was not at all pleased to have seen her uncle the way he was.

"Out." Was all he told her after a minute of trying to think how he was going to tell her about Capri.

"Doing what?" Kenzie asked and Jeff just looked at her.

"That's not really any of your business now, is it?" Jeff questioned in reply. He knew she just wanted to know where he had been but part of him wanted to shield her from the fact he hadn't been as open with her about life as he'd been in the past.

"It is when you're out canoodling with some chick that you made me think was Liz." Kenzie said matter-of-factly.

"When did I give the impression that I was going out with Liz?" Jeff asked, curious to know where Kenzie had drawn that conclusion.

"Last night before you left. I asked you where you were going dressed up and you told me that you had plans with an old friend." Kenzie said and Jeff sighed. She had him there, he did tell her that, but he didn't think she'd take it to mean Liz.

"Ok, I did tell you that, but you were the one that thought it was Liz. I never said it was with her; and besides, why would I go out with her?" Jeff replied and Kenzie looked at him in shock.

"Why not her. I'm sure whoever you were with at all hours of the night doesn't even come close to how amazing Liz is." Kenzie told him, disgusted with his words.

"There are some things that kids just don't need to know, and you can't judge Capri, you haven't met her. How can you say that about her?" Jeff argued back, raising his voice.

"CAPRI?!" Kenzie all but gasped. Of course her name was Capri, why was she even surprised.

"Yes. What's wrong with that?" Jeff asked and Kenzie rolled her eyes.

"And how old is she?" Kenzie asked, knowing full well that something wasn't right. This must be what felt off the night prior.

"How is that any of your business?" Jeff questioned, plopping down on the bar stool as his legs were tired of holding him upright.

"Because I am your niece and I care about you, and I don't want you getting hurt." Kenzie said as calmly as she could.

"And I appreciate that but I'm a grown man, I look after myself. I really like this girl and I think you'll like her too." Jeff told Kenzie and he just stared at him.