Chapter Six.

If you were to pull Kenzie aside and ask her where her favorite place in the world was, she would probably tell you that it was anywhere with a beach. Other than the soccer field, the beach was where she felt like she could be herself and forget her worries. It was her safe haven and as she sat on the warm sand waiting for Jesse to arrive, she watched the tourists swim in the crystal-clear water, play in the sand with their kids and watched as some laid on their towels with their backs toward the sky, hoping to work on their tans.

The teen listened to the laughter and happy squeals of children as they ran from the waves, as they chased each other and as they drove their parents insane with how little they were following their instructions.

Kenzie chuckled as she saw a little boy running away from the person looking after him. The adult was obviously feeling very exasperated; and as they caught up with the kid, you could see the look of sadness on the little one's face when they were being reprimanded for not listening.

"You'd be surprised at how many kids run off." Jesse said as he sat down next to Kenzie who jumped when he spoke up.

"Dang it Jesse, you really need to stop doing that." Kenzie said as she held her hand to her chest, hoping that it would calm her erratic heartbeat.

"Stop doing what?" Jesse asked, genuinely confused as to what she was referring to.

"Scaring me so badly." Kenzie replied.

"Stop giving me reasons to scare you." He responded and she chuckled a little bit.

"Whatever." She said and went back to people watching.

"So, are you finally going to tell me what your one condition is?" Jesse asked, still wanting to know what the heck this girl had up her sleeve.

"Promise to hear me out before giving me your answer?" She asked and Jesse reluctantly accepted.

"I'll try." He told her.

"Ok, I'll tell you, but first, I packed us some lunch." Kenzie said as she opened her bag and pulled out a sandwich for each of them as well as a bottle of water to go with their food.

Jesse looked at her with utter surprise. He barely knew this girl and she was already making food for him. He didn't outwardly show it, but it meant a lot to him as he wasn't at all used to anyone showing him kindness.

"It's just a sandwich Jesse. It won't bite you." Kenzie said as she watched him, waiting for him to take the food from her hands.

Jesse carefully took the items from her as though he was afraid she'd take it back and tell him that it was all a prank.

"Thanks." He said softly and Kenzie beamed, happy that he accepted the lunch.

"You're welcome. I hope you like ham, cheese and lettuce." She replied, opening her sandwich so that she could take a bite of it.

"It's great." He said and tucked into his food.

"Alright, now that we have that out of the way, my one condition is that you help me set my uncle up with his old flame." She told Jesse and he stared at her mid bite.

"What? Why?" He questioned as a little piece of lettuce escaped his mouth and landed in the sand between them.

"Long story short, the woman that moved into your neighborhood recently, she used to date my uncle and I know they miss each other, so I'm making it my job to get them together." Kenzie said, giving him the short explanation.

"What makes you think that's what they'd want?" Jesse asked and Kenzie just looked at him in confusion. Why wouldn't they want to be together?

"Gut feeling." Kenzie answered simply.