Sweet Nighmares

In the midst of a big mansion, there lies an old man with long, lustrous yellow hair, seated on a soft tatami mat. Before him rested a sturdy table adorned with a plethora of maps, reports, and a stack of assassination requests. The city of Amegakure, which had once been a battleground for three of the five grand villages during the second war, had now become an impregnable fortress. It was heavily guarded and fortified, with surveillance systems keeping a watchful eye on every visitor, even during the chunin exams.

Hanzo was currently reading a successful assassination report yet again, of course, was completed by Dantes. This young lad had come before in his city and openly provoked him, he thus fought with the kid and noticed his remarkable swordsmanship. With his paranoid mind, he would rarely come out in public for fear of being assassinated.

At first, he just wanted to take a break from the remnant wounds of the war causing a ton of work to be taken care of. He was headed toward a restaurant he usually frequented until he spotted a small kid with a hood and a white patch of long white hairs going out of his hooligan.

He was just gonna ignore him until the kid turned toward him and said in a somewhat distorted voice; "You! You look strong! Let's fight!"

And out of thin air, a thin katana appeared in his hand, the kid rushing toward him while laughing like a maniac. Hanzo of course would always go out with his weapon which was a scythe and instantly parried the blow and couldn't help but notice that the kid's blade was reversed, the dull part facing him. Not intending to injure him.

At first, he thought that this was yet again another assassination attempt but then realized it was just a young man with conviction.

"You should know my identity yet you still attack me, you are brave, kid." Even if it was a kid, he still didn't go easy on him and amidst the running civilians, they fought until the kid fell to his knees, his body feeling heavy.

Hanzo then slowly crouched next to the kid and asked; "Who sent you kid? Why do you want to assassinate me who hasn't done anything to you?"

The kid's voice then returned to normal; "No one. I only wanted to challenge someone stronger than me."

Hanzo saw the determination in the kid's eyes, his words were true. "Do you know that this is what cost you your life?"

"Haha~, well then, cough cough! Well, it is what it is then hehe..." the kid started to cough violently, blood dripping down his nose, the poison slowly taking effect.

"Accepting death like that at such a young age, that's honorable. But know one thing, the end of a man doesn't come when he dies, but when he loses his conviction." Hanzo then searched in his back pocket and gave the kid a small vial which he supposed was the antidote and quickly gulped it.

Then they both looked at each other, the rain downpouring on them, an awkward silence. Hanzo was convinced that the kid in front of him was just a silly but strong brat. A crude diamond needing a little polishing.

"What's your name, old man? You're strong." The kid wiped the corner of his mouth and asked in a monotone voice.

"Wait, so you don't know who I am?" Hanzo was extremely puzzled. Everyone knew who the God Shinobi was and looked like, but the kid before him didn't.

"What my name is doesn't define who I am. Join me."

"Huh? You're some kind of noble aren't ya? Well, I got no house here so why not." The boy responded while tilting his head sideways, thinking about something.

And that's how the two of them had met, on a misunderstanding. Hanzo of course quickly made use of the kid before him and his abilities, having him quickly become an assassin in Iwagakure.

But lately, he feared that Dantes would rebel against him. It had already happened multiple times where he would straight out refuse certain missions which led him to give the boy almost suicide missions. There was also the faction that opposed his ideals led by a man named Pain that had started becoming more and more active. This all led to him having to personally trap the boy and kill this variable.

*Knock Knock*

Hanzo was cut out of his thoughts by knocking on the sliding door. He knew well enough who would randomly visit him like this to report missions.

"Come in."

The door slides open, revealing a grown-up boy with long white hair and opaque-looking and hazy eyes.

"Yo gramps, here to report to you my last mission. There you go~." the kid then sat in front of him and gave him a paper with important information written on it. He then started eating the small patisseries on the table.

Hanzo held onto the paper, making it look as if he was actually reading it but his thoughts were very far from reality.
'I've poisoned everything in this room. With this, he will die in less than five minutes. It saddens me that I have to kill you young lad but this world is cruel.'

The kid before him then stood up and cleaned the small crumbs of cookies from his lap, and then a sword appeared out of thin air.

Hanzo, being a veteran kage-level shinobi and the leader of Amegakure for a long time, immediately reacted and tried to flicker away.

Unfortunately for him, his hands were cut clean, falling on the ground and before he could react, his knees were open. His view fell to ground level, and an agonizing scream came out of his mouth.

"Oh~ come on gramps, being so paranoid cost you your life hehe~." The boy's taunting voice rang in his ears.

As the boy said, Hanzo was so paranoid that he wouldn't even keep guards in his mansion during his stay for fear of being assassinated in his sleep.

"W-why do you this to me?! I spared your life and this is how you thank me?!" Hanzo's voice was raspy and gurgly, his raging seeping into his voice.

"Oh come on now~, we're not gonna play the mask game even now? Did you take me for a fool and not notice those kamikaze missions or~?" The boy's vicious mockeries rang in the silent room as he slowly crouched and reached for the man's back pocket, taking out a small vial. He slowly took out the cork and slowly gulped the antidote down.

"Garh..." Hanzo, on his belly, suddenly felt a sharp object puncturing wound after wound on his body.

"Shikigami no Kusari." The boy's voice sounded again in his ears and he felt chains come out of his injuries, slowly chaining him up.

He then saw white paper wrap around him completely, only leaving his nose out to breathe.

"Have sweet nightmares then~."

...

"