Ch.24

Lacey's head was a mess. She knew her ex had escaped. And she knew he was going to come after her. She felt as this it was her fault. She had gone against him in court. And he had been sent down.

She couldn't stop worrying about it. She hadn't been able to sleep. And when she did, she was having nightmares. She hated how one man had so much control over her.

Sami had told her that the police were doing all they could to find him. And that Lacey was being supervised most of the time. But it didn't ease her fears.

She knew he was going to come after her. And that was the last thing she needed or wanted. She knew that she hadn't been herself at all. She was scared. And that's all she could think about.

She hadn't been able to go anywhere on her own. Knowing that Leigh or Sami were always with her. Even Warren. She and Warren had become friends and she was thankful knowing how far he would go to protect the ones he cared about.

All she knew was that things were hard and scary. And she just needed to somehow make it seem okay when it wasn't. It was scary for her to think about.

Morning came and she was in bed. The door opened and Leigh walked in. Mia toddling behind her. Leigh sat on the bed and smiled. "Are you okay?" She asked.

Lacey shook her head. "No. I can't sleep at all. My head is a complete mess. And I just feel like maybe I'm not supposed to be happy. I mean, look at everything that's happened," she said.

Leigh took her hand. She smiled and sighed. "You're talking nonsense Lace. You're allowed to be happy. You're allowed to move on. And the police are going to get him," she told her.

Lacey wasn't convinced at all. And she felt as though it was all too much for her. She sighed. "I just can't help but feel like maybe I'm to blame for this. I got him sent down," she said.

"You did the right thing. He would have ended up killing you. And then I'd be without my best friend and sister. Mia here wouldn't have her favourite auntie," Leigh said.

***

Lacey walked through the village. She smiled as she saw Sami and Warren. She walked over to them. "What's going on here?" She asked.

Warren shook his head. "Nothing. We're all good. Have you seen your sister? She's got my credit card. And I don't trust her to not overspend."

Lacey smiled. "She's in the flat. Don't worry about her overspending."

Warren nodded and walked off. Sami turned to Lacey and pulled her close. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Not really. But I have to be don't I? I mean, too much is at stake. And I just need to focus on the future," Lacey said.

"Good. I won't let anything happen to you," Sami told her as he kissed her.

***

Lacey walked back into the flat. She frowned as she saw the lights were off. She turned them on and felt sick. Leigh was tied up. "I've been waiting for you. Time to make you suffer."

Lacey turned and looked into the eyes of her ex. But before anything, her whole world was sent black...