38: "I Never Thought About It Once!"

"I have an oral presentation in the next period," Jungkook complained.

"That's not so bad. You'll be fine. You're great at those," I said putting my accounting books back in my locker.

"It's for Mr. Wang's class," he stated as I closed my locker and faced him.
Now I understood the reason for his nervousness.

I grimaced.

"It will be fine," I said patting his shoulder encouragingly. " Just don't make direct eye contact with him, in case he turns you to stone."

Jungkook snickered at my joke.

The bell rang signalling the beginning of the next period.

I rested my hands on Jungkook's shoulder and stood on my toes. "Good luck," I wished him, kissing him quickly afterwards. I gazed at Jungkook and then decided "You deserve another one," and kissed him again. His hands grazed at my waist and I suspected he wanted to pull me closer so I pulled back. "Now go quickly before you're late for class and he makes you go first. "

Jungkook nodded and rushed off.

***
"What in the Americanised bullshit is this?" Hae soo whined.

And I agreed with her completely. I would've appreciated if the compulsory Life Skills Class we have to take in the 12th grade taught us how to file taxes. Or how to buy a house. How to change a tyre. How to properly clean a toilet.
Dammit they could teach us airfryer hacks and that would be more useful.

But no.

Mr. Park stood infront of the class explaining some new baby project that they decided to do from this year going forward.

Just like in the TV shows I watched in my childhood, in essence we'd get a baby doll to look after. One that could poop, pee, cry, and throw up. And we had to cherish it for the week.

It was simultaneously for the week but also not for the weak.

I wanted to have children. In the future. Not in second term, fourth period this year.

"I made sure to assign this project during a slot where none of you have any planned exams or tests. And it is only for 2 weeks, so look a little less sullen," the teacher said.

"What's the point of this anyways?" One of my classmates dared to ask. "Why do we have to do this?"

"You want the long answer or the short one?' Mr. Park queried comically before making a flippant gesture. "I'll give you both," he decided. "This project is more than just watching a doll. You have to put together goals and budgets and plans in a presentation with your project partner. This is about understanding what parenting means not only emotionally but financially and physically too. So that in the future when you're making decisions about your life, about your bodies, about your future, it's an informed one. Parenting takes a toll on people which doesn't mean they're bad parents but everyone should learn before becoming one that it isn't an easy process. And this is just a doll, this is just a small percentage of how difficult things can be. And this isn't to dissuade any of you from becoming parents in the future, it's again about making informed decisions. You will learn things about yourself during this project, things that you may not have been conscious of before. Maybe your partner will point them out or you'll figure it out yourself. Regardless, any task that helps you grasp a better understanding of yourself, of people, of life, is never a task done in vain. And this is a pair project so you'll also gain skills of working in a team...hopefully," he explained and honestly it made sense. I wasn't necessarily excited about it but I understood it to an extent.

"I really hope that was the long answer," Hae soo whispered and I snickered but managed to hold in the laugh I was about to let out.

"As for the short answer," he started.