3: Tutor

Mrs Kang was by far my favourite teacher. She was fairly young and had short brown hair which complimented her sharp yet elegant features. She was the one of the few teachers that actually cared about the well being of her students. She realised that students weren't studying machines but were humans  too.

She taught her subject at a pace that was suitable for the slower learners. Her caring and patient attitude was the reason her subject became my favourite.

Unlike most people, Math was a lesson I looked foward to. I didn't enjoy every section but I liked most things. The problem solving side of Math gave me a feeling a of accomplishment if I got something right. It made me feel useful in the oddest way.

My appreciation for my Math teacher quickly changed when she called me after class today.

"Senthu, stay for a few minutes. We need to discuss something important."

"Sure Mrs Kang."

I took a seat across from her and waited for her to elaborate.

"There's a student in our class that seems to be struggling with Math. They're barely passing."

"Oh. Ok."

"I want you to tutor that student."

"I- I don't know, Mrs Kang. I don't think I'm the right person for this."

I didn't actually doubt my tutoring capabilities. I doubted whether one of my classmates would want to be tutored by me. I refused to bear with hatred in my free time.

"You're the best person for the job. You have an excellent understanding of all the concepts and as far as I know you're not doing any after school activities. So you must have lots of free time. Come on this will be good for you."

"But-"

"Please Senthu," she pleaded.

"Okay," I sighed.

She clapped her hands once in happiness.

"Great. I'll tell Jungkook."

"Ok... wait, what?" My eyes bulged out of their sockets in complete shock.

"Jeon Jungkook. Your classmate."

"You didn't tell me that he's the student you were talking about."

"I didn't?" She laughed nervously
"Well, he's the student."

"I'm sorry, Mrs Kang but I can't tutor him."

"And why is that?"

"Because he hates me. And I can't say I feel any different."

"Senthu, hate is a strong word."

"That's why I'm using it."

"You're not seeing my point. I'm sure he doesn't hate you. And even if he did, he's harmless."
I scoffed at her words, internally.

Jungkook was the exact opposite of harmless. He proved that to me every day.

Her viewpoint of him was clearly very different to mine.
It was strange how every person had a different perception of each individual. Everybody sees something different in a person, something that no one else sees. I guess it's because depending on the situation we reveal another part of ourselves to each person we come into contact with.

"I still refuse to do it."

"But you already agreed!"

"That was prior to my knowledge of the student's identity."

"Atleast think about it tonight and give me an answer tomorrow." She sighed.

I begrudgingly agreed to her new proposal even though I knew my thoughts on the matter would remain constant

******
It was a new day and for the first time I didn't want to go to Math.
I'd slept on the issue regarding Jungkook and I couldn't find a single good reason to tutor him. I didn't want to say no to Mrs Kang but, for the life of me, I couldn't say yes.

She looked my way several times during the lesson but I pretended to be immersed in the work infront of me and ignored her stares.

When the lesson ended she told Jungkook to stay back and I tried to hastily make my exit which I failed to do.

"Senthu, you stay too."

Sighing I walked from the door to the front of her desk, next to Jungkook.
I was terrified that she would ask for my answer now, infront of the devil spawn.

"Jungkook, your marks just haven't been up to standard. I know you can do better but you're too distracted. Which is why I've decided that Senthu will be your tutor." Both Jungkook and I become wide eyed at the revelation. I thought she was giving me a chance to choose.

"She will help you up until such time your marks improve greatly. You both can decide according to your personal schedules when you want to meet up and let the sessions commence."

At the same time, Jungkook and I opened or mouths to disagree with her decision but she shuts us up.

"There will be no further discussions on this. You both may leave."

Jungkook leaves first while I sit in shock at my teacher's words.

"Mrs Kang, yesterday you asked me to think about it. But today you made the decision for me. Why?"

She rubbed her temples before answering me.

"I noticed you ignoring me the whole lesson. From that I figured your answer. Senthu, you are his only hope right now. I'm asking you to do me a favour and help him."

I looked away guiltily, knowing very well that she was telling the truth.

"I'll do it. But what if he doesn't want to."

"You'd be surprised at how co-operative Jungkook can be."

"I'll agree to disagree."

"Don't be negative about this situation. You may not see it now but this is good for the both of you."

"How so?"

"Sometimes we need to experience things and even if we go through it begrudgingly we end up realising it's the best thing that's ever happened to us. We don't always know what we need the most but it always has a way of showing itself to us one way or the other. What you despise today you may love tomorrow. After all it's a fine line between love and hate."

"Maybe, but I'm nowhere near the line. I'm very much on one side."

"Senthu," she laughed.
"Just be open minded, ok. Jungkook may seem awful to you now but you may have more in common with the boy then you think."

I nodded at Mrs Kang's words as I thought deeply about everything she said to me.

I didn't think I had anything in common with Jungkook. But life was full of surprises and maybe I was about to face one of those surprises.