Eight

The news of President Snow for the outcoming Quarter Quell were announced a week ago. No good came from it. Aria's parents had been a mess since then. Enobaria was right. This was a consequence because of her actions and she felt like all the soon to be lost lives will be because of her. The end of the tour was horrible. After the unprepared speeches from Districts 12 and 11, Petunia ensured, with the help of the District 2 escort, that no impulses regarding the messages presented to the districts were changed in any way. The fury of the districts had to be controlled like a camping fire and not allowed to roar out and create an irreparable forest fire.

Aria felt like a wandering soul who could do nothing but observe her surroundings. Seeing people killed in front of her for their convictions and their demands for change only made her fire roar inside her. Moving from district to district, from party to party made her miss home more than anything, she wanted to go back to her bed and not come out. Their love wasn't as convincing and President Snow had punished them.

The redhead escaped her parents's grip by going to the old man house. It had become a usual thing to visit him. Sometimes they wouldn't do much, but their presence ease each other.

"I don't want to go back, but if I don't a mother will never see her children grow up to be beautiful people. How can I live with that in mind? I'm scared old man, I-I don't know what to do anymore."

He always had something to say back to her. A snarky comment every once in a while, but now. None. Not even a glance toward her. He couldn't look at her because he was too in the same situation. The oldest male Victor in District 8, it was his duty to volunteer. Right? It should be.

"I don't know Ginger. You can only answer to that question. I can't decide your life, that's a choice you can take without someone else deciding for you."

The door knocked and kick them out of their conversation. Wright screamed that it was open. Aiden could be seen at the front door. His eyes were red as if he cried not too long ago. Oh, Aiden.

Aria left Wright and was now with her brother walking to nowhere. He tried to lighten the mood by giving his usual jokes that would make her laugh anytime, not now though. How could she laugh when her fate was still chosen by someone else. Her greatest fear was spending a night in an arena where fear reigned. Where every sound made your heart beat faster than it supposed to. Reliving memories that were still so fresh was out of the question, but at what cost? She had a chance to return to that hellhole and this time the odds of coming back in one piece were slim.

"Stop doing that, stop overthinking." Aiden said after a while of walking in silence.

"I don't."

"You do. Your eyes are getting bigger like you will transfrom into a Hyde. It's weird. Talk to me, I'm literally beside you with no one to eavesdrop. We used to talk all the time before..before you know what." Before I was thrown into an arena where I slaughtered Tributes.

"I have a chance to be one of the Tributes of the 75th Hunger Games. Done, that's what I'm thinking about."

"You won't go, it can't happen twice. I won't let them take you, Aria. I am your brother and it is my duty to protect you and I may not have been able to do it before, though, I will protect you from them."

"Aiden, stop you can't promise me that."

"I am and no one will change it because you are my family and I love you."

She knew Aiden will find every possible way for her to stay and she loved him for that.

Some time later, the two Yrwin separated. As they walked towards her favourite house, the redhead had the idea of visiting her mentor, whom she hadn't seen come out of his den for weeks now. Cecelia had made it clear to her that in a few weeks he would be better as he was every year, but she couldn't let him mope about the death of his family in the absence of comfort. Knocking on the door, Jonathan learned to see again with the light of the outside world. His young neighbourhood neighbour was standing in front of his door with a big smile on her face, the same kind of smile his daughter would make.

"It's been a while Jonathan. I thought I should look out for you."

It was true that time had passed. His unshaven beard for weeks or his unkempt hair were proof of that. Jonathan invited her in and she could tell he wasn't well just by the sight of his house. A ton of uncleaned dishes, liquor bottles lying all over the place or the various objects that cluttered the path.

"Do you want something to drink, I think I have some apple juice somewhere or-"

"That's fine. Don't worry, thanks."

He sank into his couch before closing his eyes with a sigh. The death of his wife and daughter had destroyed him. Despite his daily good mood when this time of year came around each of his demons that he thought he had overcome resurfaced without ever leaving him in peace. A vicious circle that could not be broken.

"I understand why you came, but I can't. I can't be your mentor or anything else. I'm in pain and I don't want to share that pain with anyone," his gaze wandered aimlessly. It was distressing to see. He took a few sips of his alcoholic drink before mumbling incoherent things.

Seeing him like this broke Aria's heart. A man so quick-witted and no longer able to live scared her. Was this what it was like to lose someone so dear? Her heart was torn by the abandonment and melancholy of a house once filled with the warm laughter of his little girl.

The redhead looked around and did what helped her when she didn't know what to do. She cleaned up. Starting to clear the floor of bottles, food and dirt before taking it one room at a time. Finishing with the living room, it was almost impossible to see where we were going so she opened the window curtains a little. A groan was heard from Jonathan, however, the new light source was not enough to wake him up. Her cleaning was almost done when Aria heard Jonathan whisper something as he looked at her still half asleep.

"Marguerite, come here. Sing for me my dear." Aria thought he had too much to drink and was hallucinating that she was his daughter. She decided to start singing a song that her parents always sang to her before going to sleep.

"You are my sunshine

my only sunshine

You make me happy"

She saw the glimpse of a smile as he sing the rest of the song with her.

" When skies are gray

You'll never know, dear

How much I love you

Please don't take

My sunshine away"

Her mentor fell asleep again and she finished cleaning the rest of the room. Before leaving, she looked at him one last time. He seemed at ease. Like he was having a beautiful dream, she wished he was.

                                                                                         Author's note

                                                                                     It's been a long time.