Nine

Today was the usual.

She woke up before the sun, ate her breakfast and ran her usual miles before taking her shower. Contemplating the sunrise from her window as her mother screamed at their maid for no good reasons. Clove went downstairs to calm the situation as usual.

"The only reason we have a maid is because I can afford one with my money, Mother. Treat her better."

"How dare you talk back to your mother you piece of shit! I paid your training with blood and tears, do you hear me?"

"Father paid my training after you begged him to do so. You ha-" A slap was heard. Clove's cheek turned red. The Victor chuckled.

"Is that all you can do, Mother? I am the one with all the glory not you, Mother. All these things surrounding you can be taken away as I say so because it is mine, Mother." With that she left.

The relationship between her mother and herself wasn't the most idilic. She was born with parents who loved each other to death and loved the Hunger Games. At age of ten, her father died from an aneurysm to the heart. One day the lovely couple was soulmates and the next day her mother became a widow. Her mother, Fiona, didn't know any better to put her anger on her daughter. This made their relationship decreased as screams and abuses were the common thing in their house.

Arriving to the cemetery, she found her usual spot.

Cato Hadley

A son, a best friend, a fallen

May his soul rest for eternity and beyond

"Hey, sorry it took more time to come today. You know how my mother is. Do you ever think about what would have happen if you and I won? I mean if that bitch didn't stabbed you from behind you would have won for sure. The thing I don't understand is... the first thing we learn is to never turn our back from our enemies. Sierra was the last person to trust and you knew that."

Clove fought back the tears from falling like usual. Someday she succeeded in doing so, today was that kind of day.

"I know why though. I knew you cared about me more than you should. You didn't want to be my friend and deep down I didn't want to be your friend either. I wanted to wait till we were both adults. To do things right, but we had to be tear apart. I hope you know that I will forever love and care about you Cato. And if I am reaped, I will fight and die."

A breeze of wind caress her face while some of her hair cloud her eyes. The Victor gave a kiss on the stone and redirected herself to her home. Her mother was already gone. She looked at the clock, it will start soon. Dressing herself was like a corpse you dressed for their funeral. A knock was heard from outside. Opening the door, peacekeepers ordered her to follow them. As if she was going to hide. Leaving her house, the thought of never coming back ease her in some way.

One by one, the Victor's village was evacuated by peacekeepers. Clove met the eyes of Enobaria. Her mentor exchanged a look of support as she nodded to her.

The escort was already there, they were applying makeup from a mirror pocket before the show started.

The odds of being reaped were low since they were a lot and even lower because some Victors told her that they will volunteer.

The usual anthem and video were shown. Their escort walked towards the female's vase. Apprehension was making her heart mad.
I don't want to die

The female Tribute for the third Quater quell and 75th Hunger Games is..Clove Kentwell" A wave of shock. A wave of shock hit her when she heard her name, but this time she hadn't wanted to. Her heart quickened more and more when she heard no one volunteer. Those people who had always valued the games did not come forward to volunteer. She returned to look at the winners and they were all looking straight ahead, as if afraid to meet the accusing and murderous gaze the girl was giving them. Her gaze lingered on Enobaria and she saw the panic in her eyes. Why would anyone volunteer to go through the horror again. Fear rose as she realised her fate was done.

For months Clove had been waiting for the moment when the universe would descend upon her and the fateful moment had arrived. At the age of sixteen, she would return to the arena for a second time and this time she knew that her chances of returning were lower than the last time. Here she would be surrounded by Victors who had all killed before and would surely not be afraid to do it again.

"And the male Tribute for the third Quater quell and 75th Hunger Games is... Dean Magellan.

"I volunteer as a Tribute." Brutus said without leaving the gaze of Dean.

Dean Magellan. Clove talked to him once. He..he was the best friend of Brutus or what they called each other. Enobaria told her that sometimes it was hard to accept who you truly were and looked at Brutus talking with the other Victor.

"Wonderful Tributes for District 2. Clove Kentwell and Brutus Gunn. Their hands engulfed together as they raised it. Her famous smirk was back.

As she looked at the crowd her mother was..crying. It wasn't an act to catch the sympathy of others, Clove was able to recognize it. Those tears that were falling were from..sadness? Her mother mouthed to her 'I'm sorry'. Clove had the sudden desire to hug her. To stay in her arms like she used to. As she made a step forward peacekeepers rushed her inside as they shouted 'No time for goodbyes, the train has arrived'.

Is it the last time I see my mum?

Today was nothing like a normal day.

After being settled inside the train, Clove looked at Brutus. He looked as tense as her. Their fate had just been sealed. A lump in her stomach formed as she realised that she would have to rebuild the image of the perfect career. Aria came into her thoughts, was she okay? How had the Reaping gone? Clove didn't want her to be reaped, but a little voice inside her wanted to see her one last time before she entered the arena. The train door opened and Enobaria came into view. She had always been a loud and confident person. Today, cowardice showed on her face.

"I should ha-"

"Don't. I wouldn't have volunteer for you if the roles were reversed. What I need to know now is how to go home again, please."

Never did Clove looked this vulnerable in front of her mentor. It helped Enobaria get a little of confiance.

"These Victors have known each other for years. You will need ally."

Author's note

This was one of my favourite chapters to write.