Episode 1 - The Beginning of a New Journey

How to Eat Life - Eve

Hey! Artists Can Be Strong, Too! - Opening 1

Important Notice: This story will have traumatic and sensitive topics. For the most part, chapter warnings will be included here!

»»»---------------------------------»»»

Pururururu. Purururu. Purururu. Gacha.

"Hello..." A sleepy voice drawled over the den den mushi speaker. The voice on the other side sounded like they needed an extra strong cup of coffee...or maybe just a day off.

"Hey, it's Seo Yuria..." The female voice speaking to the receiver was currently tying up her long lavender hair with a ribbon. She made eye contact with her pale grey eyes in the mirror before blowing a strand of hair out of her face. She placed her hand on her hip striking a pose before giving herself an encouraging smile.

"What can I do-"

"Sorry to interrupt, but I don't have much time. I just wanted to let you know I'm quitting as your weekly comic artist."

"What? Wait-"

"Okay, bye."

Gacha.

Before the voice on the other side even had time to start protesting, Seo Yuria hung up the den den mushi. She did feel a little guilty for leaving on such short notice, but she sincerely did have a good reason.

"I better head out now..." Yuria mumbled as she triple-checked her small bag of belongings. Taking one last glance around at the small home she had inhabited for nine years of her life she couldn't help but glance over at the tiny picture frame on the windowsill.

"Mom, Dad...I'm leaving." With those final words, she stepped out into the breezy, summer air and closed the door behind her. As she took a few steps down the road her footfalls slowed to a stop. A breath later she quickly ran back to the house to reopen the door and strode over to the picture frame before grabbing it and shoving it into her leather satchel.

She had wanted to leave it at home to keep it safe but realized that if she was to commit to her dream she couldn't leave loose ends. If it was one thing her father taught her before he passed it was that if she was to make a decision then, she had to see it through. She didn't plan on coming back after all. With newfound determination, Yuria marched down the road to the docks admiring the sights of the peaceful town she was leaving.

Yuria rested her hands on her knees as she panted out of breath. She had just made it to the docks, but she hadn't realized that she had poorly misjudged how far they were. At the leisurely pace she was walking she would have long missed the boat. Thankfully, she was able to see the boat from the hill. Stumbling and almost landing on her face multiple times she ran down the hill as fast as her short legs could carry her.

The dock was always busy in the morning with countless ships anchored to the shoreline. It was teeming with activity as sailors, fishermen, and civilians went about their day. Sailors smoked and chatted with one another about the weather on the sea. Fishermen advertised their catches of the morning with glee to eager civilians. Seagulls circled above occasionally screaming at one another or the humans below- Yuria would never know.