Episode 16 - Polar Tang (pt. 2)

Idol - YOASOBI (Heart Pirates vers.)

Hey! Artists Can Be Strong, Too! - Opening 3

»»»---------------------------------»»»

Yuria had been essentially confined to the infirmary room with her meals brought to her by Law. If she needed to use the bathroom, there was a small one connected to the room equipped with a toilet and sink. Unfortunately, there wasn't a shower, so she had to make do with awkwardly wiping herself down- not that she was supposed to submerge her injuries in water regardless. 

She eventually did ask Law how they came about saving her. He hesitated answering her but, he did end up explaining a bit how they had coincidentally arrived on the island hoping to restock their supplies and come across her with a gun to her head. He tried to hide it by plastering on his usual smirk, but there was a guilty glint in his eyes. She didn't bother to ask him because what was done had been done and she didn't care that much. She was just glad and grateful to them that she was alive. 

A week soon passed and Yuria had to admit she was going stir crazy. She wanted to be up and out. To feel the ocean breeze, to smell the salty air, and most importantly, to move her body. She could feel her muscles wasting away the longer she lay on the infirmary bed.

She also never had a moment of peace as Law would come to the infirmary to bring her breakfast and would only leave whenever she went to sleep. He would sit at the desk quietly working on whatever, but she knew he was watching over her like a hawk because, in his words, she "couldn't be trusted to not somehow reopen her wounds." She didn't understand his reasoning, but she didn't have a choice in what he decided to do. Though on second thought maybe that's why Chopper often bribed her with alcohol if she promised to properly rest...

Thankfully, upon her request, she was given at least some paper and a pen to relieve some of the boredom. By the end of the week, she had a booklet of papers filled with random drawings and doodles. She never had to worry about ink as she simply had to use her Devil Fruit to pool some within her palm when she needed to redip her pen and dissipate the excess. 

Some of her drawings were nonsensical with depictions of beings that had four arms, but no legs or a body of only eyes. More often though she tended to draw the stuff around her: the bookshelf, the medical equipment, the view outside the window, or Law. She especially liked to use Law as her subject of choice as he made the perfect drawing model. He remained still with the occasional shift in position, but it was long enough time to sketch his form. His changes in positions also made it a nice change of pace in what to draw. 

Soon, she had drawings of him in various poses such as leaning back reading a book, writing on a clipboard, checking his equipment, and the one time he had been cleaning his sword. 

Eventually, he did catch on to what she was doing as it was hard not to when he could feel her eyes frequently flitting up to him. He curiously watched her a few times actively drawing him, but he never inquired to see the finished product nor did she proactively show him. 

If it wasn't made obvious enough, they didn't talk much despite spending the majority of the day together which was perfectly fine with them. They did their separate activities and only spoke to one another when they needed to. An example of such is when they finally discussed the details of their deal. In exchange for a written copy of her medicinal knowledge of fungi and her manual labor during her time on the Polar Tang, she would receive training for control over her Devil Fruit.