.°• Chapter 1: The Message •°.

Dawn grew from the ground like a tree, branching out and shining it's light on a dark oak forest. It rested upon a bridge with a flimsy wooden frame and plentiful rows of wheat, golden from the rising sun.

But Jimmy was more focused on the ground beneath him, watching as his legs dangled dangerously, wondering briefly if a simple breeze could pull him under.

It was hard not to focus on the glowing red etches on his wrist, a time more daunting than he could handle right now. 2:39:46

If he did fall, he wouldn't have much time left to make up for it.

"What if I just... Fell?" Jimmy asked himself, only to be answered by some rustling trees.

"What if you did?" A peculiar voice echoes. It didn't sound much like one particular sound, more like a mesh of other voices wound and wrapped tight around eachother.

Jimmy almost jumped out of his skin, scanning around him to figure out who spoke to him, but he was met by empty space.

"Oh dear, poor canary."

The voice triggered a deep fear within his soul, flooded him with overwhelming dread that kept him frozen to his place.

"You've been here before haven't you? Wondering when it will all come to an end?" The voice urged. With a shiver, Jimmy nodded slowly.

"You're a watcher- I mean- surely- I've only really heard of you in stories- you must be, otherwise how would you-"

The Watcher let out a retched laugh, almost like a hoarse screech, the blend of voices whirring together.

"Have you ever wondered," The watcher paused, before letting out another shrill laugh, "Why you're always out first?"

As much as Jimmy wanted to ignore it, this voice seemed to provide answers that he's never thought he'd hear. "It's just luck though, right?"

"Oh poor canary, always the sacrifice. Someone has to be first, don't they?"

"Why me?" The canary burst out.

"Because you conform to the system. The weakest willed," It spat, "Unable to carve your path like all the others"

The weakest willed? Surely not, Jimmy believed, I mean, he knew he wasn't as skilled as all the other players, they made sure he knew that. It burnt like acid, hearing it being stated so simply by a being that has observed him all this time, that knows him better than he does. Maybe he is weak?

"do you want to make a change?"

"Yes." Jimmy replied, without hesitation. For the first time in a long, long time, he felt heard. This Watcher- whatever it was- knew him more than everyone else. It had all the answers to being strong, how to get him out his constant slump. He could break free of this endless cycle.

"Good," The Watcher crowed, "Break the cycle, be unpredictable, do anything you can to go rogue from the system. Go, canary."

The voice's urgency disappeared as the sound died down before Jimmy could say another word. He sighed and pushed his sunglasses higher up his nose to shield him from the growing sun.

Upon turning around, he saw the silhouettes of his fellow bad boys heading across the bridge, his partners in crime, his best friends. He wouldn't trade them for the world, not for anything.

The shorter of the two silhouettes called out to him, "You alright, babe?"

The taller silhouette, Grian, rolled his eyes and groaned, "Joel, you told me you'd stop doing this stupid 'babe' thing, it's weird."

Jimmy met Joel's concerned gaze with a small smile. The watcher really made him feel like he could do anything, I mean, he could break the cycle. The watcher's voice still rang in his mind.

"You've spaced out a bit babe, are you alright?" Joel raised his eyebrows at Jimmy, his sunglasses sitting perfectly at the end of his nose. He then smirked at Grian, who was glaring at him, obviously very against this 'babe' thing.

"Did you get the gunpowder, like we asked?" Grian said, looking expectantly at him.

Jimmy fished around in his backpack before tossing a fairly large sack of gunpowder at Grian, "Yep, got it."

With a little grunt, Grian caught the sack and nodded at Joel. "We're going to blow some people up from the net. I'm pretty sure the Clockers are nearby so we'll get some easy kills. We can split the time."

"Alright," Jimmy grinned, eager to get into the action. He started to lose faith in himself and his abilities before the watcher entered his thoughts and instilled him with a newfound confidence, "Babe." He added, slyly. Joel burst out laughing, and Grian couldn't contain his for much longer. Soon enough they were all laughing together, feeling as comfortable as the warm sun did on their backs.

Word count: 798 words

It's been a long time since I've written , so I apologise for any errors and appreciate feedback!