~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 4 ~

Cold.

That was the first thing Hare recognized. She'd only ever been this cold once before. Only one place had wind like this.

Hare opened her eyes.

The rainforest surrounded her. The horrible stench filled Hare's nose. She scrambled to her talons. Fear pulsed through her body.

"No," she gasped.

She heard the sound of faint, desperate voices crying for help. The image of the cave formed in Hare's mind, along with the thought of the mangled MudWing being pulled back into whatever horrors lie in the back of that cave.

Hare quickly hurried off in the opposite direction, weaving through the trees and hopping over roots. Maybe she'd find her way to the clearing. She hated everything here, but at least that place was familiar. She moved as quietly as she could, being careful not to step on anything that could crack or make a loud noise. She kept a close eye on the ground so she didn't step in anything like she did the first time she was here.

Nothing about the path she was taking looked familiar. She had no idea where she was going.

Maybe I should turn back and try a different route.

Hare twisted to turn around, but as she did so something caught on her body. She yelped and tried to wriggle free. She looked over, a vine was wrapped around her. As she struggled, she grew more tangled. She kicked and clawed, desperate to get away. Panic was starting to take over.

Hare snapped her head toward the vine and fixed her teeth on it. She tugged but it didn't come loose. Their strength was surprising considering how dead everything here was.

Hare wanted to cry for help, but she knew that'd do no good. Nobody would come to her aid. She'd just get herself killed.

Hare reached out and dug her claws into the nearest tree. She heaved herself closer to it. The vines weren't connected to this tree, so maybe it was her chance of getting free.

Relief waved over her as she felt the vines grow loose. She pulled herself closer and closer until she felt the vines sag off of her. Hare kicked away any vines that were left and shook out her scales. She leaned against the tree, gasping for air.

Hare barely had a moment to relax before something from above dropped down on her. The wind was knocked out of her as she hit the ground. She twisted and tried to dig her claws into whatever was on top of her. The dragon was smarter and pinned her talon down. They dropped their face down so it was beside Hare's. Hare realized that she recognized this dragon.

"What are you doing here?" Orca demanded. "You're no trainee, I can sense it. Why were you summoned?"

"I- I don't know!" Hare protested. "I have no idea why I'm here. Please just let me go."

Orca scoffed. "You're pathetic. Begging like a scared scavenger. Have you no pride?"

I may as well be a scared scavenger here!

Orca raised her head, then grabbed Hare's face and twisted her neck in a painful way so she'd be looking at her.

"I'd assume Albatross doesn't know you're here," Orca went on. "He knows all the trainees. I'm sure he would've mentioned a strange little creature like you if you were training among us. Are you being trained in secret?"

"No!" Hare cried. "I swear, I have no idea what this place is or why I'm here."

"No idea?" Orca said. She laughed a little and waved her wing to signal at the forest. "I'm surprised you've heard no stories. They tell all young dragonets tales about this place to scare them into being good." Orca looked Hare in the eyes, making Hare want to disappear. Her gaze sent an uncomfortable shiver down Hare's spine. "Welcome to the Place of Lost Souls."