~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 25 ~

Trees rustled in the breeze. Hare shivered as the wind blew past her.

She and the others were sheltering on a beach under the cover of some trees. They'd been flying all day, and now the night had returned. Clay, Sunny, Starflight, Kestrel, and Glory were all laying together. Tsunami was staring up at the bits of the sky she could see through the leaves.

"I'm sorry everything went so wrong," Hare said, sitting beside her.

"It's alright," Tsunami said. "It just shows where I'm meant to be."

Hare leaned against Tsunami, who wrapped her wing around her.

"I'm sorry about Catfish," Tsunami said suddenly. "I know you really liked him."

"I'll see him again one day," Hare told her.

Tsunami nodded. "I'm hoping the same about Riptide."

"Guys." Clay signaled for the two to come join them. "We need to discuss where we're going next."

Tsunami got up and walked over to them, Hare following close behind. Hare sat beside Starflight, who was tracing the ground uncertainly.

"We need to go somewhere where there aren't dragons tearing the earth apart looking for us," he said.

"I agree," Clay put in. "I'd much rather not be imprisoned again."

"Perhaps we could go find Rose and stay with her for a little while," Sunny offered.

Kestrel shook her head. "That'd mean returning to the Sky Kingdom, and we have no idea where Rose is."

"What about the Ice Kingdom?" Hare offered.

Glory quickly shook her head. "No way. I'd much rather stay warm, thank you. You may be built for the cold, but we aren't."

"We could go to the Kingdom of Sand," Starflight suggested. "We might be able to stay in the Scorpion Den, at least for a while."

"Tsunami wouldn't survive there," Kestrel pointed out. Tsunami bristled but didn't say anything.

"What about the rainforest?" Clay said. "Nobody will be looking for us there, and we can find Glory's family. We can stay there until we figure out what to do. I'm sure the RainWings would be happy to shelter us, especially when we arrive with one of their dragons."

Bits of pink appeared on Glory's scales. "Are you sure?" Glory asked. "That's really what we want to do?"

"Yeah!" Sunny squeaked. "I'm sure your home is beautiful!"

"And your family will be happy to see you," Tsunami added.

"It'll offer plenty of shelter," Starflight said thoughtfully. "It's perfect. For now, at least."

"Kestrel? Hare?" Tsunami looked at the two.

Kestrel nodded. "I have no problem with it."

"Me either," Hare said, smiling at Glory. "I'd be happy to go."

"Then it's settled," Tsunami said. "We're going to the rainforest."

"After we rest?" Sunny asked.

Tsunami smiled at her friend and laid down. "After we rest."

The group curled up together. Hare settled beside Tsunami, who kept her wing over her comfortingly. Hare rested against her friend's shoulder. She was happy to be like this again, being with her friends and knowing what to do.

Before she fell asleep, memories of Catfish ran through her mind. His handsome face, his kind heart, the way her heart leaped every time she saw him, his odd whiskers that made him all that much more unique. Each memory made her heart ache. She missed him.

She thought of Trench, too. She prayed that her friend would survive.

She risked her life for us. Please don't let her die because of our mistakes. Mystery, please protect her.

The dragon in her head didn't answer, no matter how long Hare waited for a response, some kind of promise that Trench would be okay.

Another memory ran through her mind, saving Axolotl with Seahorse and Dolphin. She hoped Seahorse would be okay, too. She hoped Dolphin was recovering from losing their brother, and she hoped Axolotl was finally able to be happy and live her life again.

I'll see them all again. When the war is over.

When destiny isn't getting in our way.