~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 9 ~

Hare was staying in one of the caves among the cliff. It was high up and neatly organized. A rug was laid out on the floor. A comfy bed was sat against the wall. Scrolls were scattered out on the floor and a shelf was hanging from the wall, filled with other scrolls. A candle was on the floor by her bed, though she wasn't sure how much good it would do. Hare breathed freezing fire, nothing that would provide warmth. Light, sure, but no warmth.

When Whirlpool left, Hare had collapsed onto the bed and curled up into a comfortable ball. She didn't realize she'd fallen asleep until someone poked her in the side.

She lifted her head sleepily, her vision blurry with drowsiness. She remembered the only dragon who'd woken her up like that recently. "Copper?"

As her vision cleared, Hare saw a familiar SeaWing in front of her with a wide smile. "Not Copper. Catfish."

"Catfish?"

Hare sat up and yawned. "How'd you know I was up here? Did someone tell you?"

Catfish shook his head. "No, I watched Whirlpool bring you here. I waited until the sun began to set to come find you, but you were sleeping so I waited a little bit to wake you up."

Hare climbed off her bed and went over to the entrance of her cave. Orange sunlight glittered through the canopy and painted the water shades of yellow and orange.

"Wow," Hare breathed.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Catfish walked up beside her and looked down at the water. His whisker-like tendrils waved in the light wind that blew through the cliffs. "I've lived here my whole life, yet this always leaves me in awe."

"It's amazing," Hare said.

Catfish looked at her and smiled. "If you think this is pretty, you should see the view from my spot."

Hare looked at him in confusion. "Your spot?"

"Yes." Catfish puffed his chest out a little in pride. "I could bring you there."

Hare liked the idea of getting to spend some time with Catfish, and the thought of him showing her something that made him proud made her smile.

"Alright," she said. "Lead the way."

Hare had forgotten that she needed to swim in order to leave the Summer Palace.

And swimming right after you wake up is not a good way to recover from a nap.

Thankfully, Catfish kept a good pace and gave her time to take breaks. Right now they were stopped on a small island, sitting side by side. Catfish was crouched over the water, watching the water closely.

"Trench might be there," Catfish said, lashing out his front talon into the water. When he lifted it, a large silver fish was wriggling around on his claws. Catfish chomped down on its throat, making it go limp. Hare shuddered. She remembered when she'd done that.

But not to a fish.

Not to any piece of prey.

She'd done it to another dragon.

Snow Goose.

"I can't wait for her to meet you," Catfish went on, plucking the fish off his claws. "She'll be so excited."

Catfish offered the fish to Hare. Hare shook her head, despite how hungry she was. "Oh no, I can't. You caught that."

"I can catch another," Catfish said. "Please, it's my treat."

Hare smiled and took the fish. "Thanks."

Catfish gave a small nod and went back to fishing, his tail lashing slowly as he concentrated. Hare took a bite from the fish. It wasn't the kind of thing she normally ate, but she couldn't deny the fact that it was pretty good.