~ The Kingdom of the Sea: Chapter 17 ~

Hare went to the healers to get her wound treated. The SeaWings were surprised that she handled the healing mostly on her own. Rose had taught her how to treat a wound so it didn't scar, and luckily the SeaWings had everything she needed and more.

Seahorse greeted her as she passed. Hare stopped. Her wounds had been treated and were wrapped with bandaging. Dried blood could be seen on the white wrappings.

"I see the healers are doing their job well," Hare commented.

"Oh, very," Seahorse said, stretching. "They're all very kind, and the dragon who's been working with me is very pretty."

"Is she our age?" Hare teased.

Seahorse laughed a little. "Only two years older than us, actually. Her name is Cornflower." She pointed to a dragon working in the corner of the clinic. "That's her."

Hare looked where she was pointing. A light cornflower-blue dragon with large and pretty webs on her spine. Her underbelly was almost white, and she was adorned in beautiful sea flowers.

"She is pretty," Hare said.

"And so sweet." Seahorse sighed. "But I still love Trench, too. I think part of me always will."

Hare placed her talon on Seahorse's. "I'm sorry I can't give you any advice," she said. "I've only liked one dragon, so I don't know what to say."

"That's okay," Seahorse replied. "I'll ask my mother. She always seems to know what to do."

Hare sat down and fidgeted with the end of her tail, wrapping it between her claws. "It must be nice to get motherly advice," she said without thinking.

"My mother is a wise dragon," Seahorse said. She looked at Hare and tilted her head. "Have you ever even gotten to meet yours?"

"Yes, in the Sky Kingdom," Hare responded. "I could've gone with her, but I- I chose my friends."

"I'm so sorry Hare, that must've been hard," Seahorse said, her voice sympathetic. "What about your father? Have you ever met him?"

"Not in the way I expected to," Hare admitted.

"What do you mean?"

"My father was one of Scarlet's prisoners. I didn't know who he was until after he died in the arena."

"Oh, Hare-"

"It's fine, it's better that I didn't get to know him," Hare said quickly.

"But you still lost your father," Seahorse pointed out.

Hare shrugged. "Could be worse."

"What could be worse than losing one of your parents?" Seahorse asked.

"You only say that because you know your parents," Hare said. "To me, mine were no more than strangers. Fjord was nothing more than a dragon I didn't know. He wasn't my father, he was unknown."

Seahorse shook her head. "I pity you Hare, I truly do. No dragon deserves the life you've had."

Hare bristled. She says that like others don't have it worse.

Hare got up and shook out her scales. "I should go."

"Alright, goodbye Hare," Seahorse said. "Visit again soon."

"I will," Hare promised. With that, she left the clinic. She flew out into the pouring rain. She noticed how the water was rising, flooding some of the caves in the cliffs.

As she began to fly to the tunnel that led out of the Summer Palace, someone barrelled into her side. Hare gasped and faltered backward. The dragon who crashed into her shook their head and looked at her. It was Tsunami. She was clutching a round object to her chest that looked an awful lot like an egg.

"Hare!" she cried. "We need to go, come on!"

"What? Why?"

Tsunami was beginning to fly away, but she stopped and turned to face Hare. She made a circular motion with her talon, the same one Shark and Queen Coral had made. "Do you remember this?" she asked.

"Yes, why?" Hare replied.

"That means Not right now, we'll finish this later," Tsunami explained. "Meaning my mother ordered to have our friends killed!"