28: Romano/Xenia.

Romano De Rossi

The weekend flew by in a blur. It was marked by things that had changed, and the stubborn ones that had remained familiar—Xenia's remoteness being one of the latter.

That night of the altercation had left me restless, grappling with my decision and the consequences until the first light of dawn crept through the curtains. Clearly, it was a bad idea to keep the baby, but it was also not a good idea to terminate it.

Katie's words echoed with truth; Xenia was really going to hate me, and even Katie's support seemed tentative at best. Caught between yielding to the temptation to remove the child to regain order and granting the child a shot at life, humanity had won out. I was still standing on the decision that was causing me more anxiety than delight.

Given that I was about to become a father for the first time and lacked any inkling of how to predominate that role, my fear wasn't unexpected. The reality hadn't quite hit me yet.

Saturday morning saw me at the gym, seeking to bolster my spirits, only to discover no  motivation or relief, so I opted for a jog along the street instead. As I returned, I crossed paths with Xenia by the elevator, and though my first instinct was to hold her back and question her destination in swimwear, I refrained and shadowed her to discover for myself.

Discovering her at the swimming pool on the rooftop, I became more convinced that she would never forgive me. She seemed to have carried on with her life from the moment she shut the door on me, showing no tendency to reconsider.

I made a swift exit once the man from the reception the previous day joined her at the pool. I refused to linger like a spurned adolescent in the shadows while she indulged in flirtatious banter with a man whose intentions were painfully obvious. His eyes didn't even try to hide that they had no intention other than undressing her.

Driven by simmering rage, I retreated to the icy cascade of a cold shower, seeking to pacify the intensity of my emotions.

Jealousy had become an all too familiar companion, a family heirloom of sorts, ingrained in my psyche. Yet managing its grip on me demanded a fresh approach each time it reared its ugly head.

Later that day, Max, Umfredo, Orlando, and I ventured to Nova, leaving the remaining three of my men to watch both Katie and Xenia. Xenia had clearly become too reckless to rely on, her actions veering dangerously close to betrayal. Meanwhile, Katie required careful monitoring; her desperation might drive her to self-destructive lengths in an attempt to undermine my authority.

We weren't just at Nova for business assessment; I had a more pressing agenda—to indirectly confront Angelo and his father, who had been bombarding me with relentless calls. I hadn't entertained any of them, knowing full well their intentions were far from casual conversation.

Max, Umfredo and Orlando were scattered around the room, keeping a close eye on the exchange in case Angelo and his father attempted anything other than the ordinary. That action was a daunting reminder of how far we had fallen; members of the same Family, yet nursing resentment as if we were sworn enemies.

And in many ways, we were.

My eyes scanned the room, searching for the faces that haunted my mind.

The empty tables and benches stood in silence, waiting for the lively chatter and clinking glasses that would soon fill the space. Neon lights, bright enough to illuminate the darkest corners and dull enough to create a subtle ambiance, bathed the room in a kaleidoscope of colors. A fuse of purple, pink and red glowed on polished surfaces.

It felt as if time had paused, capturing a fleeting moment of tranquility before the vibrant energy of the night would seize it.

Yes, the devils were there, tucked away in a corner booth like vultures waiting for their prey.