CHAPTER 9

“Eva!”

Theo called behind me but I walked faster.

Away from the church. Away from the dead body inside the confessional which was easily murdered by the guy I just fucked.

My god. I should’ve known. From the first place, the blood on the floor and the chains inside that building. Hades doesn’t call himself a devil to just ignite fear and intimidate.

No.

Hades is the devil himself and I let him claim me, taint and corrupt me.
Now, a life was taken and I need to flee from here.
Run away from him before he could further ruin me for good.

The realization felt like a slap to my face, crumbling all that I had known for, because I will lose everything I hold dear if this will continue further.

Just look where my insatiable libido had led me.

I cursed my pussy, the darn selfish thing that still dares to flutter at the thought of Hades.

“Evangeline, wait!” Theo grasped my arm from behind but I shook it away and unlocked my car.

“Just a minute, hear me out”

Sighing, I faced him and nearly shouted, “what?”

Darting my gaze here and there, I look for any signs that the body is discovered.
Something tells me that this is just the beginning of my doom and I cannot outrun Hades no matter how much I try to escape.

He had gotten a taste; several times and I had the feeling that one taste is not enough.

“Is everything okay?” the voice of my ex-husband snapped me to reality and I blinked.

Theo was looking at me with genuine concern. He reached a hand to touch my cheek but I stepped back to evade it.

Somehow, the touch is wrong.

“I really need to go. What is it?” I asked, conveying my impatience by looking around once again.

The people inside the church began to disperse but there are still no signs of alarm or distress.

Theo sighed, moving closer.

I need to leave. I need to leave before I am to be blamed since I am the last person inside the confessional and the fact, that I contributed to the man’s murder.

I don’t have any time to entertain Theo but guilt had me rooted to the spot. Neglect and discontent might have clouded my concern for him but a part of me, still cares.

Theo never hurts me, never laid a hand and provided everything. He just made me feel unwanted and not enough, that’s all.
He was never satisfied by me and I wasn’t satisfied with him.

It’s kind of suffocating.

“I just…” he started.

Hesitantly, he took my hand in his and I let him. The familiar warmth of his fingers against my palm screams wrong. Wrong!

His hands are too soft, his grip too gentle unlike Hades’ that squeezes and dominates.

“I’m sorry, Eva. For everything. I should have spent more time with my wife rather than my job. I’m really sorry.”

My gaze softened.

“It’s alright, what happened in the past stays in the past”

I replied and it’s sincere because I had long accepted the fact that maybe we weren’t just for each other.