My Hero Academia | (Y/N) (L/N): Origin

When we grow up, we'll get married...

"(Y/N), I have a gift for you!"

"Wait, really?" You asked, before she handed you a very small box as you smiled widely and took it politely from her, a happy gasp escaping your mouth. "Yay! Can I open it already?"

"I mean, sure!"

"Can I?!"

"I said yes already...!"

"A ring...?" You curiously eyed the ring, holding it up and seeing the ring shine in the sunlight, as she took her pinky and linked it with your pinky. "I don't really get it though..."

"You don't have to yet." Rika smiled as the two of you grew closer and smiled at each other as she continued to speak. "It just means, that when we grow up, we'll get married!"

When we grow up, we'll get married...

"Someone call an ambulance...!"

"Nobody can save her! Her head's crushed in!"

You couldn't believe your eyes. A simple misstep led to Rika's demise. The blood connected what was left of her head to the truck's tire, which was toppled over along with the truck. You took a breath, trying to calm your racing heartbeat.

"Rika...?" You asked, terrified as you looked at her bleeding body, her hand twitching as you started to think. "You can't die...no, you can't! You can't die! Please don't die! You said—!"

(Y/N)...

You looked below you with a horrified gasp as the blood from the crime scene oozed towards you and a white cursed spirit emerged with a large wide mouth as it grasped your legs and grinned at you innocently, just like Rika once did.

When we grow up...

You started to hyperventilate.

Rika's grip only seemed to grow tighter as she raised her head, her features monstrous and looked like that of a demon's. You could only blankly stare at it as your heart pumped more and more. You tried to clench your fists, but your fear didn't let you.

...we'll get married!

You couldn't control your breaths anymore.

"Why is this happening...?!"

. . .

It's a promise, okay?

You could feel the subway train blow right past you as you stared at what was once the empty train tracks. Blankly staring, you kept your gaze down and didn't pay attention to anything else. Afterwards, you eyed down at the ring dangling from your shoulder and held it softly in your palm.

Deciding that you spent enough time in the subway, you walked up the stairs as the sunlight blinded you. You raised your hand as you looked at your surroundings, which consisted of the many buildings and skyscrapers of Musutafu, Japan. You had finally arrived, but still felt so empty.

At your hometown, you had caused an incident. Three bullies assaulted you, but something stepped in. Due to the severity of your assault, you were transferred to Musutafu. Of course, you were perfectly fine but those kids weren't.

Being shoved into a locker is a very painful way to go after all. Rika made sure they looked unrecognizable, and it looked like a scene straight out of a horror movie. The thought of their mangled faces just made your heart sink deeper as you kept walking.

Eventually, you were escorted towards Tartarus Prison. It was the only place where the government thought they could contain you. Sitting on a white chair in a very white room, you suddenly heard the door buzz, which meant that a visitor was arriving but you could hear the conversations outside.

"He's going to be executed in total isolation?"

"Unbelievable, isn't it?"

"But he agreed to it himself."

"He's only sixteen years old..."

"Yeah, but how many more people could he kill with that curse? Knowing that, everyone knows what is the obvious thing to do..."

"Yeah." Yagi said, entering the door as the police officers behind him eyed you from the outside, seeing the bags under your eyes as you looked up towards Yagi. "We will look after him...at U.A High School."

"What...?" You said, almost sleepily.

"I'd like to ask you something, young man." Yagi said, holding a bent knife as he walked up towards you and took a nearby white chair and sat in front of you. "What is this, exactly?"

"It's a knife." You said. "I tried...to kill myself a few days back. But Rika wouldn't let me. That's why I agreed to be executed. So that way...I can stop hurting people."

"For a young person like yourself, suicide is a pretty serious thought." Yagi said. "Me personally, I feel like you can still be saved, (Y/N). Even if you don't fully know that yourself."

"I'm done going outside."

"Still, it would be pretty lonely for you." Yagi said. "I have my own theory, but I have a feeling that execution for you wouldn't even be considered anymore. That...spirit you have could go on a rampage if we tried to kill you."

You didn't say anything.

"Life in prison isn't a happy life, young (Y/N)." Yagi said. "It might be even worse than death for someone as young as you. Tartarus isn't a place for the young people at all. It's for the criminally insane, those who don't deserve the death penalty."

"I'm not going to U.A." You said.

"You know...you didn't kill anyone." Yagi said, which surprised you. "They all came out severely injured, but nobody died. For now, it doesn't look like they will want to press charges on you."

There was a silence.

"Don't throw your life away, young (Y/N)." Yagi said, standing up as the door buzzed for him to leave as he kept walking. "You still have an opportunity to live. Please just know that, okay?"

With that, he left.

. . .

Ten months later, and you looked up towards the skyscraper that was U.A High School. In a few hours, the entrance exam was about to begin. You stared at the floor as multiple candidates walked past you and entered the glass doors ahead of them.

For you, you had to think about it for a moment. Despite leaving Tartarus for a new chance at life, you felt uneasy. Being a pro could certainly change your life around, but you had to check on something else very quickly. So, you snapped the ring off your chest and placed it on your ring finger.

"Rika..." You said.

Yes...?

"I'm..." You said. "...I'm going to live."

End of Chapter