Dreamland Gardens

January 16, 2023

Xavia was once again summoned to Aurelius' office, most likely for his next job, some ridiculous task to steal some overpriced painting or hidden artifact probably.

Upon entering the room, his attention was immediately drawn to the unfamiliar presence, a young woman with long black hair pulled back into a ponytail. Her eyes, one an earthy brown and the other a captivating shade of purple with freckles littering her nose and cheeks. The stranger was clad in a simple violet t-shirt, jeans, and a stylish black trench coat, a bow and quiver resting casually against her back.

What the hell is this all about?

"Good afternoon, Xavia!" His wealthy employer, the eccentric Aurelius Van Helsing, a senior gentleman with snow white hair and a matching mustache, greets him jovially with a wide grin, "I called you here so you could meet your new partner. Her name is Dusk and she's a skilled archer!"

Dusk gives him a subtle smile and a small wave upon being introduced, "It's nice to meet you!"

Xavia eyes Dusk with a mix of annoyance and skepticism, "Partner? I work alone, Aurelius. You know that," He grumbles, crossing his arms over his chest. He doesn't bother replying to Dusk, ignoring her smile and wave while giving her a once-over before turning back to his boss.

What the hell does he think this is, some buddy cop movie? This girl looks like she couldn't hurt a damn fly. Great, now he's stuck babysitting while trying to do his job.

"Ah, don't be so fickle, Xav," Aurelius begins lightheartedly, "She's an incredible shot and I know you've had a few close calls lately."

"I'm not fickle. I'm practical," Xavia retorts, his face hardening at the mention of his 'close calls'. He glares at Dusk and then back to Aurelius, "I don't need a partner. Especially one who looks like she's never been out past sunset."

"Pardon my interruption," Aurelius' assistant, who had been standing behind him quietly, a mysterious yet loyal man with navy blue hair that matches his eyes, speaks up, "But I agree with Aurelius. You nearly died during your last job. Some cover wouldn't be a bad thing."

This earns him Xavia's glower now, "The last job had nothing to do with needing backup, and everything to do with lousy intel," He snaps back, his eyes falling on Dusk again, "I still think this is a mistake."

"My apologies," Zane replies with an apologetic bow of his head.

"Unfortunately, this is not a request," Aurelius pronounces, asserting that he isn't taking no for an answer on this matter, "Dusk will accompany you on your next job. Zane has the details."

With a deep sigh, Xavia runs his fingers through his white hair, growling out, "Fine, whatever," He flickers another glance at Dusk before abruptly turning to leave the office.

"Um..." Dusk starts with a nervous smile, "Is he always like that?"

Overhearing her comment, Xavia stops in the doorway without looking back, dryly quipping back, "No, only when I'm annoyed... Which is most of the time."

The white-haired man sneers to himself as he continues down the hallway. He didn't need a partner, and certainly not some pretty-eyed archer who'd most likely prove herself useless in a tight spot.

"It's as he says, Dusk. Yes, he's always quite grumpy," Aurelius mentions with a chuckle once Xavia is out of earshot, "I'm certain he'll warm up to you in no time."

"Let's hope so," Zane steps forward, adding on, "He's pretty stubborn. Well, that's our Xav for you."

Dusk chuckles lightly, brushing a strand of dark hair away from her face, "Yeah? I've noticed. He's cranky and stubborn but... That won't scare me off."