Submerged

April 3, 2023

"Dammit, Xavia, what the hell is taking you so long?!" Dusk curses under her breath, growing increasingly anxious with every passing minute. It had been about an hour now and he still hasn't returned.

She's caught in a battle of decisions as she considers whether she should wait or dive into potential danger after him. His stubborn voice echoes 'Stay put' in her head but her worry and sense of responsibility argues otherwise.

About to spring into action, Dusk freezes as she hears voices and the distinct sound of footsteps closing in from behind. Whirling around on her heel, she swiftly readies her bow, only to find herself face to face with a group of armed poachers advancing towards her.

"Of course, just my luck... Right when I needed it," Dusk complains sarcastically as she steps back onto the shadowy rocks, her eyes scanning the incoming threat.

She can't avoid the fight now that they've already spotted her. Her instincts kick in as she pulls the string of her bow and lets an arrow fly. It strikes one of them square in his chest, causing him to stumble backward.

Dusk had never been a fan of taking lives but with Xavia's safety and their mission at stake, there's no room for her usual hesitations or ethics.

"What are you waiting for?" One of the poachers barks out, "Get her!"

"Well, that went south fast," She thinks to herself as bullets begin flying past her. She's an expert archer but up against guns, retreat seems like a wiser strategy.

Without further delay, she skillfully navigates through the rocky terrain away from the poachers in hot pursuit and heads deeper into the forest for better cover.

"Xav, we've got company!" Dusk pants into the comm piece as she takes down another pursuer with a well-aimed arrow, only to sprint off again. They're not backing down anytime soon and she's heavily outnumbered.

The urgency in Dusk's voice pierces through the silence of the temple, causing Xavia's senses to go on high alert. The nickname she used is a clear sign that something is going horribly wrong.

"Shit," He curses quickly. Without wasting another second, he sprints towards the exit of the temple, shouting back, "Hold on! I'm coming!"

Without a moment to spare, Xavia throws caution to the wind. The traps that had plagued him earlier are now insignificant compared to Dusk's desperate call for backup. His heart races as he weaves around the remaining traps like an enraged bull charging through a ring, not caring about any potential hazards along his path.

"Better make it fast, Xav!" Dusk breathlessly shoots back at him through the comm piece as she narrowly dodges another bullet.

Out of breath but forging ahead, she knows she can rely on her skills to keep the poachers at bay as she leads them in a chaotic game of cat-and-mouse. She decides to make a risky move in an attempt to get the high ground on her assailants.

"Time to get a better view," Dusk mutters as she deftly makes a daring leap up onto the first branch of a sturdy tree nearby. She's no stranger to climbing trees but doing so with bullets spraying around her is a first.

From this vantage point, not only can she better evade their attacks but launch surprise counterstrikes herself, hopefully long enough for Xavia to join in.

Calmly whispering, "Enhance," Dusk feels the familiar rush of her Nen flowing into her eyes. The blurry shapes of the poachers turn crystal clear as if they're standing right beside her. Letting loose arrow after arrow with sharp precision, she manages to take down a few more of them.