Nightmares

March 18, 2023

Xavia was sound asleep in his comfortable bed after an exhaustingly long day until he was rudely awoken by a bloodcurdling scream from his new housemate. Thinking someone had broken in or worse, he scrambles down the hallway towards her room.

Finding Dusk's bedroom door slightly ajar, Xavia pushes it open with caution, his hand reaching for the hilt of one of his twin scythes. The room is eerie in its silence after the scream. He can only hear the sounds of the rapid panting breaths she takes.

"Dusk?" He calls out her name gruffly, stepping inside and allowing the light filtering from the hallway to brighten up the space. His dark brown eyes fall on her shivering form under sweat-soaked sheets.

Nightmares? He thinks to himself. A sign of weakness or childhood trauma maybe?

"Sorry, Xavia. Just a... Nightmare," She tries to normalize her breathing as she looks up at him with fear in her mismatched eyes, "Go back to sleep," She adds on quickly, not wanting him to worry or press further.

"Do you seriously expect me to just ignore that scream and go back to sleep?" Xavia asks, crossing his arms over his chest. His gaze is cold but concerned as he stares down at her, "Look," He sighs after a moment of silence, running a hand through his messy white hair, "If something's bothering you or keeping you up late at night... You don't have to tell me what it is if you're not comfortable... But the least I could do is make sure this doesn't interrupt your job duties. Or mine."

He feels awkward offering any sort of comfort or help. It isn't exactly something he has much experience with. It's none of his business but that scream... And she looks so terrified. He can't let this slide.

His concern surprises her. Dusk had expected him to scoff and walk out the moment she had dismissed it off as just another nightmare. But here he stands, offering his support.

"I... I appreciate that," Her voice is barely above a whisper but genuine nevertheless, "But there's no need for you to worry about this affecting our work," She manages a feeble smile at him, hoping to lighten the intense atmosphere looming around them as she adds, "Unless you're losing sleep over my screams..."

"Well, shit, Dusk. Not like I enjoy being jolted awake in the middle of the night," Despite his harsh words, there's a hint of amusement sparkling in his eyes, "Anyway, just... Try not to let your dreams ruin our upcoming missions," With that, he turns to leave the room.

"Goodnight, Xavia," Dusk mumbles softly.

"Night, Dusk," The white-haired man mutters before stepping back into the dark hallway. He pauses outside her bedroom door and glances back at it for a moment. Shaking his head, he walks back to his own room and attempts to fall asleep again. His thoughts filled with little flashes of their conversation, something about it had left him feeling uncomfortable.

Once he's out of earshot, Dusk lets out a breath she didn't realize that she had been holding in. She then falls back onto her bed and stares blankly at the ceiling. She knows it's highly unlikely for these nightmares to stop but it comforts her slightly knowing that someone else, even if it's only Xavia, knows about them. She hadn't expected him to respond or offer help though.

Little did Xavia know this would become a regular occurrence, being awoken by her screams of terror at least twice a week. And every time it happened, Xavia found himself torn between his desire to stay out of Dusk's business and the growing concern he felt for her.

"Damn nightmares," He grumbles one morning after another sleepless night, standing in the kitchen and nursing a strong cup of coffee.

"Morning, Xavia," Dusk greets him lightly as she enters the kitchen. Her sleep-deprived eyes are shadowed by tiredness but still hold a glint of determination. She quickly prepares herself some breakfast before turning her attention back to him, "Sorry for disturbing your sleep."