Echoes of Eternity

May 16, 2023

Xavia and Zane stand shoulder to shoulder amidst a sea of records, flipping through stacks of assorted albums. Their task is a strange one, a hunt for a classical vinyl named Echoes of Eternity, sought after by Aurelius, with intel suggesting it's being sold at a sprawling record fair on a college campus in Jaxon City located in the United States of Saherta.

The atmosphere is dull and monotonous, but amidst the tedium, Xavia manages to secure a few vinyls for himself. Meanwhile, Dusk roams the building on her own, utilizing her advanced eyesight to go through the collections faster.

Zane has been intermittently making small talk, something that Xavia doesn't particularly mind but only because it's someone he knows and not a stranger.

The blue-haired man's voice breaks the silence once more as he sifts through the records, curiously wondering, "If you don't mind my asking," He begins tentatively, "How are you and Dusk? Aurelius seemed to think you two had some sort of falling out."

"We had a disagreement," Xavia replies reluctantly, not looking up from the album he's examining, "Nothing we can't move past."

It visibly irks him to talk about his argument with Dusk, mainly because while they had apologized and talked after the incident, there has still been a lingering tension between them, their usual banter replaced by awkward silences.

"Ah, I see. I apologize for asking," Zane bows his head slightly before continuing his task, "It seemed like you two had been getting along well."

Xavia raises an eyebrow at the man's apology before shrugging, "We have our moments. She's not entirely insufferable," His grim expression softens faintly as he discloses this out loud.

Zane's unexpected chuckle breaks the tension in the air, a rare display from the composed man, "Is that your roundabout way of calling her a friend?" He quips, a hint of amusement in his tone.

The white-haired man's lips twist into a thin line, his irritation growing by the second, "I wouldn't go that far," He shoots back tersely.

Of course he won't admit it out loud. He doesn't need anyone else to know he has a weakness. Friends have attachments, feelings of affection and concern which make them susceptible to exploitation... Don't they?

"Dependence is the death of strength, Xav," His father's taunting voice echoes in his mind, "You are your own master. Always remember that."

With a deep sigh to dispel those bitter memories, Xavia rolls his eyes as he brushes off Zane's prodding.

Zane doesn't miss his colleague's slight reaction, prompting him to wonder, "Is everything alright, Xav?"

"Yeah, everything's fine," Xavia responds shortly, a serious edge to his voice as he flips through another box of records, "And don't call me Xav."

"You've been letting Dusk call you that lately, so I figured maybe you've warmed up to the nickname," Zane remarks casually, his attention still fixed on the container in front of him.

"Well, you aren't Dusk, are you?" Xavia snaps back, "Just because she calls me that doesn't mean I'll allow the same from everyone."

He fights down a surge of annoyance at that revelation becoming public knowledge. So what if Dusk is allowed to use nicknames? She's... An exception.

Zane nods in acknowledgment, "My apologies, Xavia," He says, his gaze briefly shifting to Dusk across the room, "I'll go check in on our resident archer's progress."

"Good idea," The white-haired man grumbles, dismissing Zane's apology with a wave of his hand. The faintest hint of relief filters through him as he avoids having to dig deeper into the minefield that is discussing his partner.