Lavender Rose

June 8th, 2023

Xavia is sitting on the sofa with his mom, enjoying a movie together and snacking on popcorn when his phone buzzes with a text from Zane, "Hey Xav, I got Dusk's birthday card ready. Want me to sign it for you? Z."

He quickly types back, "No need, Zane. I'll do it myself when I get there."

He hadn't realized Dusk's birthday was coming up. He never asked her when it was but, in his defense, he was still getting used to the whole being a good friend thing.

Xavia's about to shove his phone back in his pocket when another notification pops up, "But don't you get back on Sunday? Z."

"Yeah," He messages back simply, shaking his head in annoyance.

Zane quickly sends a response, "We'd like to give her the card today on her birthday. Z."

His eyes widen in disbelief and he hastily stands up from the couch, telling his mother, "Don't pause it, ma. I'll be right back," He quickly makes his way out of the room, stepping outside onto the back porch as he calls Zane.

As soon as he answers, Xavia questions him incredulously, "Zane. What the fuck do you mean her birthday is today??"

There's a brief pause as the other man processes Xavia's words before sighing quietly into his receiver, "Yes, Xav. Her birthday is today. Did she not mention this to you?" 

"No, she didn't," Xavia hisses through gritted teeth, a wave of frustration washing over him.

'So that's why she had that sad look on her face the day I left... I was too caught up in my own world to ask if there was something wrong. Dammit, Dusk! Why couldn't you have just told me!? Or should I be blaming myself for not noticing sooner?' His mind races with a mix of frustration, guilt, and regret as he contemplates the situation.

"I see... Well," Zane begins, hesitating for a moment before speaking again, "I don't think it was out of malice, Xav. She probably didn't want you to change your plans."

"Dammit, Zane, I wasn't accusing her of malice," The white-haired man retaliates irritably, pinching the bridge of his nose, "I know she wouldn't do that."

"No one said you were," The navy-haired man replies calmly.

"Look, I'll catch the first train back," Xavia states with determination evident in his voice, "I'm not missing this."

"I'll let Dusk know... Unless you want it to be a surprise?" Zane inquires knowingly, his tone smug with a hint of mischief.

"Nope. Don't tell her anything, Zane," Xavia commands sternly, a small smirk crossing his face as he adds, "I want to see the surprise on that overly optimistic face of hers."

Zane chuckles at the other man's words, "Alright then, it'll be a surprise. Safe travels back here."

"Thanks, Zane. I'll see you soon," The white-haired man replies before hanging up and stowing his phone back into his pocket.

He lets out a deep breath in preparation as he heads back into the house, standing beside the sofa where his mother sits, still engrossed in the movie they had been watching.

"Ma, I need to leave early," Xavia starts, prompting her to pause the film, "It's for a friend-"

He cuts himself off, regret instantly bubbling up inside him. He hasn't told his mom about Dusk because he knows she'll make a big deal out of him having a friend. Or worse, assume there's something more between them.

"A friend?" She's quick to prod him with an expectant smirk playing at her lips.

"Actually, it's a job thing!" He hurriedly backtracks, "Aurelius called me for an emergency assignment."