Whispering Serenity

June 5th, 2023

Casually passing by Xavia's room, Dusk's curiosity gets the best of her when she notices the door slightly ajar. She glances inside and observes him neatly folding his clothes, then placing them into his open luggage on the bed.

Leaning against the doorframe, she raises an inquisitive brow, playfully asking him, "Where do you think you're going, Xav?"

He doesn't bother to look up from his task as he replies, "Going to see my mom for a week. Her birthday is on Tuesday."

"Oh, well that's... Nice. I'm sure she'll be happy to see you," She manages to keep her tone steady as disappointment creeps into her thoughts, but she quickly brushes it away, instead attempting to lighten up the mood, "Does the cranky apple fall far from the tree?"

A smirk finds its way onto Xavia's face as he zips his bag shut with more force than necessary, "That cuts deep, Dusk," He feigns a hurt tone, though the amusement in his eyes is clear, "I'll let you know that my mom is nothing like me. She's actually nice."

Dusk chuckles at his response, a genuine smile lighting up her eyes despite her feelings of dismay as she teases him, "Oh? Should I be worried that you'll come back an entirely different person?"

Xavia snorts at her comment, standing to his full height. He crosses the room in a few strides and pats Dusk's shoulder as he steps past her through the door, "Don't worry, Dusk, I'll be back before you know it with my charming personality intact."

"I'll be counting down the days, Xav," She replies with a smirk, "Try not to have too much fun without me," Her tone is light and joking but there's an undercurrent of genuine longing in it.

Xavia shoots her a quick look over his shoulder, quipping back, "Don't get your hopes up. I plan to enjoy the peace and quiet," He continues down the hall, leaving Dusk at his door.

He finds himself wondering if there's something more to her comments than just joking around. She did seem slightly disappointed though it was subtle. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to invite her along next time.

She rolls her eyes at his retreating back, letting out a laugh, "Well, enjoy the silence while it lasts, Xav!"

"Will do!" Xavia calls back without turning around, a grin tugging at the corner of his mouth as he exits the house.

Dusk can't help but smile as she watches the door close behind him, a mixture of amusement and sadness filling her. She shakes her head slightly before turning back to her room. 

After only a few hours, the house already feels emptier without him. She decides to send him a message: "Have a great time with your mom!!" Accompanied by several assorted emojis.

His response is a simple, "Ok."

The dark-haired woman chuckles at Xavia's usual lack of enthusiasm in his texts, "Typical," She mutters to herself as she shakes her head.

Later that night

As a gentle knock echoes at the front door, Dusk promptly swings it open to reveal Zane standing there, clutching a manilla folder in his grasp.

"Oh, hey, Zane," Dusk greets the navy-haired man with a friendly smile, "What brings you here?"

"Hello Dusk," Zane responds with a polite grin, "I was hoping to catch up with you and Xav about your next job."

"Oh, Xav's not here. He went to visit his mom for the week," Dusk informs him, her expression turning apologetic, "But I can handle it! What's the new job about?"