CHAPTER ONE

Her smooth alabaster skin glided over his olive tone. The sensual red tinted lips arrived to kiss his and clung there. His arms came up to hold her head in place as he returned the kiss. And then, the ridiculously long eyelashes fluttered and his eyes came up to meet Tanya's, through the gap between the slats of the blinds providing privacy to his office.

For the briefest of moments, both their gazes locked and time stood still.

At least for her.

Then, the staccato sound of her desk phone ringing penetrated the haze engulfing her, and Tanya dropped her gaze from his, lowering her scarlet flagged cheeks in the process.

Oh my god! What a creep I have become. Intruding on somebody else's private moments.

God! I need help.

With trembling hands, she reached out to lift the receiver from its cradle and put it against her ears.

"Orlanes Banking Services, Mr. Ilario De Russo's office, how may I help you?"

"Hey baby girl, is my brother there?"

Tanya hissed. "Mateo, I have told you a thousand times not to call me that."

"You didn't object to it before." Came Mateo's petulant reply. Tanya heaved a sigh.

"Again, for the umpteenth time, there is no before, there never was any before between us."

"Of course there is. And you are scared stiff about it, aren't you, baby doll?" The sound of chuckle coming down the telephone line irritated her and she decided to ignore it.

"Mateo, your brother is a little busy right now. I will let him know you called."

"Busy doing what?"

She hesitated before answering. "His fiancée is visiting."

The chuckle became a full throttle laughter.

"Oh, so that's why it took you so long to pick up the phone. What were you doing? Pressing your nose up against the window, huh?"

It was so close to the truth that Tanya wanted to smack off the smug little expression she knew Mateo must be wearing on his face.

"Don't you have anything else to do Mateo?" She replied waspishly. "Not everyone is obsessed with their boss's personal life as you are."

"I am your boss too. So watch that tone, girl."

"No, you are not."

"I am still your superior. Don't think my brother will protect you forever." He warned. "I will soon be transferring you down to my floor again."

That really did make her shudder in revulsion.

"Goodbye Mateo."

"Ask him to call me back, it's about the Wazisi Account."

She replaced the receiver and sighed. Every time she was forced to talk to Mateo, it took a toll on her. Every single fucking time!

The door of the office opened and she lifted her head to see the very sweet Apollonia smiling at her.

"Hello, Tanya. I didn't see you when I came up."

"N-no. I was... I was... Would you like me to ring for a coffee and some snacks?" To say she was flustered was an understatement.

"No need, I was just leaving." The office door opened once again and the man himself came to stand behind his fiancée.

A beautiful smile broke on Apollonia's face.

"I came to invite Rio to the party this Saturday. My parents' anniversary."

"Oh... that's great."

"Hey, why don't you come too?"

"I-I.." Feeling totally flustered, Tanya looked at her boss. Seeking help.

The brooding dark eyes looked down at her, not an inch of expression showing in their depths. She stared at him, silently pleading, and he stared right back, giving her nothing in return.

"C'mon, say yes." Apollonia smiled again.

"I... I am not sure, Apollonia. I may have plans this weekend."

"Oh, I see." A gleam passed her eyes. "Mateo made the same excuse." She winked. "Are you and Mateo having those plans together?"

Tanya looked at her boss once again. This time, narrowed eyes countered her, but again, no emotion.

Tanya forced a smile, from where she didn't know. "You mustn't say such things in front of my boss, Apollonia. Office romances are banned in this company. I may lose my job."

"Oh right." Apollonia trilled in her very posh and sexy Italian accent. "I know how strict Rio is about rules, aren't you darling?"

Tanya looked up. He was still staring at her.

"Well, anyhow, I am gonna run now." Apollonia seemed oblivious to the awkward staring contest between her fiancée and Tanya and continued on cheerfully.

"Tanya, I would love if you could make it to the party. If not, good luck with your plans." She turned towards her fiancée, "Rio, you don't need to come down to see me off. Bye darling." Tip toeing to kiss him once on his mouth, she turned to wink at Tanya and then was gone within seconds.

Tanya stood there, still staring at him.

You could cut the tension with a knife.

"Are you?" He broke the silence first.

"Am I what?" A little thrown off by the sudden question, Tanya asked dumbly at the tall male scrutinizing her intently.

Ilario Orlando De Russo. Her immediate boss and the second in command of the Orlanes Banks. When one looked at the man, the first thing that came to mind was good breeding. Sophistication was the one word which summed up his appearance. Right from the top of his silky black hair to the tip of his handmade shoes, he oozed refinement. She had never seen anyone so suave. It wasn't mere looks or his dapper form, which in his case seemed inbred. It was what separated him from the rest of the world.

Or maybe she was biased.

But the most fascinating aspect of Ilario De Russo wasn't his looks, but the steel trap of a mind behind those dark gold eyes. Nothing escaped his notice, nothing was too much of a challenge for his intellect. Coupled with his no nonsense attitude, it made for a formidable individual.

"Having an affair with Mateo?"