CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

The interior of the club looked so very different during day time. Although, she witnessed lunch or brunch rush everywhere else while making the trip to Paradiso Nero, here the ambience was soothing. There was a general feeling of relaxation. If one didn't know that this place changed into a sex club in the evening, one might mistake it for a regular restaurant.

Being alone, Tanya was escorted to an intimate booth for two in a corner which suited her well. She didn't know why she had come and what she was looking for, but for now, all she planned to do was enjoy her meal and just watch.

Which is exactly what she did after ordering from a surprisingly varied menu. The server came out within fifteen minutes with her food. The girl who seemed the same age as her, maybe even a little younger even, placed the steaming plate of steak in front of her with a muttered "enjoy" and a sweet smile.

Tanya returned her smile and kept staring at the server. Her gaze slipped to the girl's fingers. Long feminine ones with brown nails.

Very familiar red, brown nails.

This girl was wearing mehendi.

"Are you... Indian?"

Instantly, the girl's face broke into a smile. "Yeah, I am Shalini. Aap, didi?"

"Main Tanya. Kahan se ho aap?"

"Kapurthala."

"Huh?"

"Punjab." Shalini smiled at Tanya's flush.

Something magical happens when two desis meet in a foreign land. One might not even look at each other even if they would share the same bus seat, but in a foreign country, they would become the best of buddies.

For a while, while the waitress babbled on about inane things, Tanya quite forgot the reason for her visit here. Besides it was really refreshing to talk to someone who was of the same generation, and of her own country. So, Tanya continued the conversation just for the thrill of it.

"You are alone here, Shalini?"

"Arey kahan?" Shalini stuck out her lip, an endearing gesture. "The bartender, Tony, woh hain apna Tanwirjeet Batra." Shalini laughed uproariously. Without prompting, she launched into a long winded story about how the two of them were related, which, frankly, boggled her mind. All she understood was that there were a bunch of them from adjacent villages who had come to Italy together and worked at various parts of the country in various professions.

After about twenty minutes, with Shalini standing and Tanya arching her neck up to talk to her, the latter said, "Why don't you sit down, Shalini? There aren't that many customers around."

Shalini smiled and promptly occupied the seat across her.

"It's always a little empty during lunchtime. You should come in the evening. Jalwa chaa jata hain, jalwa."

Tanya was a little startled, but managed to feign ignorance. "Oh, what happens in the evening?" She asked conspiratorially.

Shalini opened her mouth, but closed again, while also sitting up straighter.

"Actually, didi, you should never come here in the evening. This club is not for you."

She looked up Tanya up and down. "And if you ever have any boy proposing to bring you here, jaan lena ki who luchha hain. Run away from him as fast as possible."

A little tendril of nervousness slithered into Tanya. Uptil now, she was in safe waters. Now that the conversation had turned to this direction, she knew this was the time to ask what she had come to ask. She had never done anything like this before. Ilario's warning from the other night rang in her mind.

"Because what I am about to ask you to do can be a little, well.... dangerous."

"Why, what happens here Shalini?" When the waitress just stared at her, Tanya hastily added, "You told me to be safe from people who come to this club... should I leave now?" She also fluttered her eyelashes, which wasn't entirely fake, for extra effect.

Shalin leaned forward, "This is Club privé." The girl whispered.

"Haanji?" Tanya was genuinely surprised.

Shalini tssk'd. Looking around furtively, the waitress continued, "This is a sex club. People come here with their partners, or to find partners..." She lowered her voice two octaves, "to have sex!"

Tanya, too, leaned forward, "Like a brothel?"

"Arey nahi, it's classier than that. And it's exclusive. Not just anyone can enter, you know."

"No one stopped me."

"It's lunch hour. They have to maintain the façade, no? Although everyone knows, still."

"Everyone?"

"I mean, people who matter."

"Oh, who are those?"

Shalini opened her mouth, but then closed promptly, once again. This time she not only stopped talking, but stood up as well. "Enjoy your meal."

Tanya watched her as the girl made her way towards the doors marked as "Staff Only" which she presumed was the kitchen. Frowning she dug into her simple meal of steak and seafood pasta. The food was unexpectedly good.

Well, that was to be expected, she supposed. There has to be some other selling point except providing a place to indulge in debauchery.

That night's events replayed in her mind. The way the bodies of those strangers had undulated, the way they had moved like a wave. Those girls who had got naked without a moment's hesitation.

Tanya suppressed a shudder.

After she paid for her meal, she enquired about the restroom. Shalini had not returned, instead some other server had come to present her bill. She pointed Tanya towards the back of the club.

While returning from the restroom, Tanya passed through a corridor with a small window. Absently she glanced through it. The room beyond seemed to be used as storage. She was passing by when she noticed something and stopped.

A man with a large beard was talking to Shalini. The girl was slightly turned away from Tanya so only her side profile was visible, but she recognised the shirt.

It was clear that the man was shouting at the waitress. The window glass was soundproof so Tanya could only see the wild gestures. Shalini was cowering on front of him. What was going on? Was he the manager or someone? Why was he upset with Shalini?

Tanya recalled that Shalini had furtively looked round before talking to her. How she had gone from being in a gossipy mood to abruptly leaving her table mid-sentence. Was this something to do with Tanya?

As these thoughts were running through her mind, the man raised a hand and struck Shalini. Tanya flinched and hurried away. Whatever was going on, there was no sense in getting involved. She quickly gathered her bag and exited the club into bright sunlight.