CHAPTER THREE

She also knew having a reputation of wild child, also meant that no one would take her seriously. People tended to brush off her opinions and troubles that she faced in her life. That is the main reason why she never told anyone about the harassment in the hands of Mateo De Russo, the stylish Italian who was as much a party animal as her. If she told anyone that he had all but forced her to take go on a date with him which had ended disastrously, everyone would say that she was crying wolf and whatever happened was brought upon her by herself.

Soon after finishing college, it had become more and more clear to Tani that she was nothing but a nuisance to her family. Truth be told, she didn't really blame them. She spent her college days roaming around with her friends, spending time at protest marches for hopeless causes, sitting down to study only two weeks before her exams. She often felt amazed that despite her lack of effort in studies, she actually passed her exams with decent grades and managed to complete her degree on time.

Never once, however, she sat down to worry about her future and what she wanted to do after college. Tanya loved to live her life very much in the present and hated overthinking. So, when after two months of inactivity she received her degree and a blistering row with her parents in which even her brother chimed in to call her a waste of a life, she learned that she had been deemed completely useless and was to be married off as soon as possible, she took the first drastic step of her life.

A step she came to regret a million times in the next three years.

She decided to leave her home. For good.

Although, when she reached the decision, she had done so with the best of intentions. She had wanted to show her family and everyone who had ever doubted her that if she put her mind to it, she could be successful.

Just like everything else in her life, she hadn't overthought her actions and called Mateo De Russo, the creep she had gone on a date with in Goa two years ago. They hadn't really stayed in touch but they had followed each other on social media. She remembered him boasting what a successful business he ran.

"Well, well, well, look who is calling me." He answered the call, his tone full of smugness. "Tanya Singha, the girl who thought too high of herself to spend the night with me."

"Cut the crap, Mateo. I lost the bet, and went on a date with you. When I refused to sleep with you, you said no hard feelings."

"Are you calling me after two years because you changed your mind?"

Tanya scoffed, "In your dreams."

"Oh you certainly are changing your mind a lot in my dreams."

"Uggh! Stop being such a creep Mateo. Will you let me speak or not?"

"Sure. Please tell me, if you are not calling looking for a night of passion with me, to what do I owe this pleasure?" He drawled.

She spoke slowly, "Well, I seem to remember you said that you have your own business and to contact you after I finished my degree."

There was a pause. "So you are calling me for a job?"

She squirmed a little. "Actually, yes. Can you hook me up with something? I finished college two months back and haven't really started job hunting till... well, this moment."

There was a faint sound of laughter. "So I am your first port of call, am I?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Aw baby, you made my day. If I help get you a job, will you sleep with me?"

She sighed, "Okay, calling you was a mistake. Goodbye, Mateo."

"Hang on." He laughed uproariously. "It was a joke. Since you called me for help, even though you clearly dislike my advances, I will help you."

"You will? Oh, thank you so much." she squealed delightedly. "When do I start?"

"Hold on, baby girl. Not so fast. Have you never attended a job interview?" He asked with genuine curiosity, and then smirked, "Oh, right, I am your first port of call."

"So, let me tell you how it works. Technically, I don't own my business. My father currently in the CEO of Orlanes Banking Services and my brother effectively runs the company."

"So, what do you do?"

"I am one of the shareholders, darling. And I too, work in the bank. I could get you an interview. Send me all your documents and you have to convince my brother to give you the job."

"Is he as crude as you?"

He feigned to be upset. "You hurt me, baby. But to answer your question, he isn't as easy going as me. He is the big bad wolf. Surviving his interview would take a lot." He said after a pause, "Tell you the truth, I am curious to see how you fare."

"Hmm."

"Oh, one more thing. If you do get a job, it will be in Milan."

Milan, far away in Europe. Where history and passion mingle together. Where there aren't any relatives judging my every action. Where I can be myself.

Taking a deep breath, she whispered.

"No problemo!"

The last thing she heard before keeping the phone was the handsome Italian's throaty chuckle bursting with genuine amusement.

Chapters are going to be released twice every week on Sunday, and Wednesday, so stay tuned.