CHAPTER TEN

Bright eyed and bushy tailed. That's how the girl in reflection looks.

Hmm!

Though she is a little plump, the curves maybe a little too much for Milan, but overall, not bad in this new Ann Taylor suit which she bought at fifty percent off!

Not bad, not bad at all!

Tanya smiled at her reflection in the full length mirror she had propped against the wall of her studio apartment, trying to boost herself.

I am going to do great. He won't find one single reason to tell me off, or throw snide remarks, she thought, wrinkling her nose at the mirror.

"Well, this is as good as its gonna be", she told herself, giving herself one last look over.

As she made her way to the metro, almost skipping with a strange anticipation, she examined why she felt this ridiculous excitement to go to work. True, she always felt great going to office, as it meant she was independent at last, and capable of living on her own, but after five months, she shouldn't be this happy or excited.

No, it is not because of who her new boss was going to be. Absolutely not. She didn't even like Ilario De Russo. He probably was just gonna yell at her.

She tried very hard to stop the ridiculous grin arriving on her face every few seconds. Why? Why the hell was she so excited?

But as Tanya traipsed through the mostly empty foyer of Orlanes Banking Services Headquarters at 7:58 AM, her euphoria subsided a little. Her smile vaporized little by little with each floor the elevator climbed. Finally as she arrived at the top floor, outside his office door and knocked, Tanya was all but quivering inside, a nervous wreck.

A soft "Entrate" made her push open the door and step inside Ilario's office.

There was something to be said for a well-dressed Italian man. In the soft morning light, Ilario was just too gorgeous.

"Good morning, Mr. De Russo."

"Buongiorno, Miss Singha." He looked up from his coffee. "Say it."

"Say what?"

"Say Good Morning to me in Italian."

That's an odd request.

"Buongiorno." She obediently repeated.

He nodded. "We've to work on that accent, but not bad for a start."

Ilario stood up and indicated the plush sofa, "Please, take a seat."

As she did so, he plonked himself down on the arm of the sofa, coming tantalizingly close enough for her to smell the evocative scent of his perfume.

"Have you had breakfast yet?"

"Umm... not yet." She replied. He is going to feed her breakfast now?

"Let's go then." He stood up again, extending an arm towards her. "I haven't had breakfast yet. And one should never start the day with an empty stomach."

Okay, he is going to feed me.

Tanya stood up, intending to follow him out, but his arm was still outstretched. A little taken aback, she placed her small palm in his which he immediately wrapped around his fingers and led her to a small nook by the floor to ceiling wall she hadn't noticed before.

It was a cosy setting with a small round table with fresh flowers on it. Two chairs were set. He waited till she took her seat, trying to ignore the tiny frisson of heat she felt where Ilario had touched her and then proceeded to settle down in his. The day's Financial Times was placed on the table.

"Food is on its way." He informed her. "Tell me, do you follow the financial news on a daily basis?"

Tanya squirmed a little. "Umm...no, not really."

"Then?" He enquired. "Only on Sundays?"

She turned red, she never went anywhere near the newspapers which didn't feature politics or fashion.

He sat back and opened his mouth to comment but just then there was a knock. In came their breakfast in covered domes which was set on the table beautifully.

Tanya took the opportunity to start eating, not waiting for him, hoping he would drop the topic of her following the financial news. But, with Ilario De Russo, she should have known she'd have no such luck.

As soon as the attendant left, he started speaking.

"You do see where you lack, don't you?"

"Yes." Tanya mumbled.

"Let me hear it."

She bristled, "I work in a bank, but I don't read about it."

"Good." He nodded. Tanya peeked a glance at him on the pretext of sipping her coffee to check if he was laughing at her, but he just sat there, regarding her with that serious gaze of his.

In fact, she couldn't recall him ever smiling or cracking a joke except the other night she had praised his car. Ilario De Russo was always serious, always frowning or looking impassive. She wondered why he seemed so unhappy and indifferent all the time.

"The first thing you will do after breakfast is read the newspaper I put on the table for you, for one hour. If you have any questions, you will ask me. After that one hour, you will be replying to the emails sent to our customer service account." He took his first sip of the coffee and continued. "The things you don't know, you are free to contact the concerned department. For things no one can help you with, you will come to me." He took a piece of bread, buttered it liberally and put it on her plate. "Stop gaping and eat." He commanded softly.

For Tanya was indeed gaping at him. He was firing off instructions like in a military drill.

"After you are finished with that, you will be working with me. Now, any questions?"

"Ugh...hmm." She cleared her throat. "Where will my desk be?"

"Here."

"Huh?"

"Here. In my office." He clarified.

Tanya was so surprised she forgot to not gape again.

His eyebrows scrunched, "Do you have a problem with that?"