CHAPTER NINE

After a few minutes, she couldn't bear it any longer.

"I am so, so sorry. I didn't mean to say that."

He continued driving in silence.

"Mr. De Russo. I am so very sorry." Please don't fire me, she added mentally.

"But you think it."

"Huh?"

"You say you don't mean to say it, but you obviously think it."

Tanya realized what he was saying and mentally slapped herself once again. What the hell was wrong with her? Why did she behave like an imbecile in front of him every single time?

"No, of course I don't think that."

He gave her a sidelong stare and continued driving.

"Is that the way to talk to your superiors?"

Oh no, he is not going to let it go!

"I am s..."

"Sorry, I know." He interrupted. "But why are you sorry every so often? It's because you don't think before you talk. The other day I heard you lecture Tony about how to behave with his daughter's boyfriend and then you spent the next ten minutes apologizing for overstepping your boundaries. Why is that?"

Tanya was horrified. He had heard that? She still felt bad about that. She liked Tony. She couldn't help herself when she overheard his call with his wife telling that he thinks his daughter is far too young to be bringing home a boy. She had launched into the speech right after he finished his call. Tony had looked mildly shell shocked at her intensity, as Tanya had got quite carried away with the topic. She often had that same problem with her parents. When she had registered her team leader's expression, she had felt like an idiot.

"I merely shared my experience." She began stiffly. "And Tony said he was grateful for my advice."

He moved his hand in a fluent gesture. "He was being a gentleman. And how do you have experience in this regard?"

"Huh?"

"Do you bring a lot of boyfriends home?" His voice mildly curious.

Tanya felt hot. How did they get on the subject of her boyfriends?

"Of course not." She protested indignantly. "What do you mean by lot of boyfriends?"

"How many have you had?"

"I don't think it is an appropriate conversation, Mr. De Russo."

"And it is appropriate to spy on your boss with his fiancée?"

Tanya reddened furiously, she had quite forgotten about the incident with the day's happenings. To hear it thrown into the argument with no warning at all, she had no response.

"I- I am so..."

"There you go." This time there was a hint of smile in his voice. "You are sorry again. But you could have easily avoided being sorry."

She was ashamed and he was right. "I know. I am sor..." She bit her tongue. She was going to apologize again!

Laughter shook his big frame, and Tanya decided to ignore him by looking out the window.

He swerved suddenly and Tanya looked up to find in surprise that they have already reached her neighbourhood. How did he know where she lived? He had never asked.

He has your personnel data, you idiot! He knows your address.

un problema." He murmured, shaking his head slightly, the humour still lingering in the corners of his generous mouth.

It is a problem, he said. What's the problem?

"What is?"

"You. You need a filter. I can't have you running around telling everyone exactly what you have in mind."

"Well..." She wanted to promise that she would exercise more caution, but knew that wouldn't be entirely true. Tanya wasn't sure she had it in her to look before leaping.

The powerful vehicle came to a stop in front of her building. He killed the engine and turned towards her.

He kept looking at her for some seconds before nodding to himself, as if coming to a decision.

"When do you get in work?"

She was a little thrown by the intensity with which he was regarding her.

"About ten."

He raised his eyebrow. "On Monday, I want you in my office at sharp eight."

Tanya opened her mouth like a goldfish, but once again he interrupted her.

"You will finish your current assignment for Tony tomorrow. From Monday onwards, you are going to be working with me."

"I..."

He got out of the car and came around to open the passenger door for her. Ushering her out, he escorted her till the foyer.

"Go on. Get some sleep, Tanya." He spoke in a low voice. "I will wait for you on Monday."

She took her bag from him and got inside her building, unable to wrap her mind around the events of the last five minutes.

She couldn't believe that Ilario De Russo just drove her home. She couldn't believe that he spoke more to her today than all the five months combined.

She couldn't believe he wanted her to work with him.

He called again and she turned.

"Don't be late. I hate tardiness."

Tanya nodded and got in the elevator. As she reached her apartment and shut the door behind her, she registered something.

He called me by my name for the first time!