CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

By the time Tanya reached office, half of the floor was empty. It was a Friday, and people were in weekend mood. The ones who were going out of town had left early, thanks to the relaxed work culture the country promoted.

It made Tanya wistful. She had nowhere to go. Staying alone away from family sucked. She told herself that the next offer she gets from the single girls of the office for a short trip for the weekend, she won't refuse anymore.

Deciding to leave early as well, she sat down at her desk and started typing the Inspection Report right away. After an hour and a half she had almost finished the report and was giving it a final read before taking out the print-out, when she paused. Something was niggling at her since afternoon. Something the manager of the boutique store had said.

But try as she did, Tanya just couldn't remember what was said that bothered her. In the end, she just let it be and decided to call it a day.

She knocked on Ilario's cabin and waited. When a muffled "Come in" came, she pushed the door open.

The cabin was awash in shadows, only the lamp on his table was lit. The sun had already set, the faint light of the evening was the only other source of illumination.

Ilario swung round to face her. His face was impassive, silently observing her in the dimness of the space.

Tanya deflated a little. Why is the mood sombre in here? Ilario was usually a ball of energy.

"I-I have the report you asked for." She said, indicating the paper she was clutching in her hand. He was in a strange mood, not making it comfortable for her to approach him and place those papers on his desk.

"Why are you still here?" He asked in a low voice.

Tanya frowned, glancing at the clock on the wall, "It's not even six yet."

He shrugged, "It's the weekend, everyone else has left."

"Well, I don't really have anywhere to go." She finished lamely, and instantly regretted it.

He didn't say anything in reply, going back to staring at her again.

"And, also, you told me you want the inspection report by the end of the day."

"I did?"

Tanya fumed inside. So he didn't even remember what he had told her? Clearly, he didn't care about the report either. And why would he? It was his fiancée's business after all. Even if something wasn't right, they would just resolve it among themselves, right?

"Well, then.. I'll... I'll just go, then." She said awkwardly and promptly turned to leave.

"Wait."

Tanya turned around, what now? Frankly, he was weirding her out and she wanted to leave. Maybe she would go hang out in Navigli.

She waited expectantly but when her boss said nothing but just kept staring at her, she cleared her throat, "Yes? You wanted me for something?"

Suddenly, he vaulted upright. Seeing his tall frame unfolding from the chair, Tanya suddenly became alert. The lights came on, blinding her by the sudden brilliance.

"Let's go." Ilario said, moving from behind his desk and to one corner of his office where Tanya knew he had a closet.

"Huh, where?" She was still a little caught up by the sudden change in his mood.

Ilario was busy looking around in his closet, his back towards her. Without turning around, he said, "Why don't you go pack and get ready to leave. I will meet you in ten minutes."

It was a dismissal, so Tanya went, a little bemused but along with a fluttering in her stomach. There it goes, she thought to herself. She was going to spend the evening with Ilario. And unless he took her to another sex club, she'd be okay.

Her steps lighter, she reached her desk to pack up her bag, but then noticed that the she was still clutching the Inspection Report. She returned towards Ilario's office with the intention of placing them on his desk so he could see it first thing in the morning. After all, she did slog over the report and she wanted feedback on her first live assignment and not merely old case studies.

Tanya opened the door and proceeded towards the desk when she stopped dead. The papers fluttered from her hands on his desk as her eyes clashed with Ilario's.