I

/ᴾⁱⁿᵒᶜʰˡᵉ/

/ᴾⁱⁿᵒᶜʰˡᵉ/

𝘎𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘊𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯

"𝚆𝚑𝚊𝚝  𝚍𝚒𝚍  𝚢𝚘𝚞  𝚍𝚘?"

There were only a few things that Melanie Wyney was interested in. Most of the time the campers found her either sleeping in her bed, or on the stairs in front of cabin 12 with a book that she had secretly stolen from her best friend's cabin. The fact that she often risked her head to do this was an amusing extra bonus. But today the girl did none of these activities. 

Within the protective barrier of Camp Half - Blood, the sun shone, casting a golden glow on the tanned skin of a twelve year old girl. A warm feeling spread through her as deep violet eyes carefully observed the cards in front of them. Outside you could hear some Apollo children and Satyr playing volleyball and if you listened carefully you could hear the "Naiads giggling from the water.

A warm wind blew through Ash's blonde locks, making them dance gently in the wind. Violet eyes narrowed before Melanie sighed, placed her cards face up on the table and leaned back into her lawn chair. Chiron, a brown-haired zentau who always smelled like coffee and sat to her right, gave her a small smile before revealing his cards. Second place. Melanie looked outside bored. The picture-perfect weather in the camp was the complete opposite of the storm clouds outside. Melanie had to smile when she saw Castor and Pollux stealing strawberries in the field. 

"Again," a voice brought her back to what was happening. "Just admit that you're bad at the game," she replied dryly. Mr. D, who as always wore a tiger-pattern Hawaiian shirt reflected her emotionless violet eyes. His eye color was just a shade lighter and less deep. His curly hair so black it was almost purple also blew lightly in the wind and an all too familiar and always welcome scent of grapes wafted into Melanie's nose. Mr. D also had a red nose and big watery eyes.

"I'm not bad, just not yet attuned." Melanie rolled her eyes and looked over at the figure who was leaning against the wall with her arms crossed and smiling mischievously at her. Melanie gave her an amused look before taking her cards from the table and handing them to Chiron, who shuffled them with other paper cards and each drew again. Melanie heard footsteps and hooves approaching, but didn't bother to look up from her cards. She already knew who the hooves belonged to. She didn't care who the other person was.

"That's Mr. D," she heard Grover the Satyr whisper to someone. "He's the camp director. Be polite. The girl on the side, that's Annabeth Chase. She's just a camper, but she's been here a long time. And the other girl, who knows we're there, but ignores us," Violet eyes sparkled with amusement at the sentence. "This is Melanie Wyney. Also a camper and head counselor from cabin 12. And you already know Chiron..."