ᯓ★Red or Blue

[Date: sometime in 2021]

Eva

The crisp morning air invades my lungs as I walk along the streets of [placeholder]. Its mornings are getting colder and colder as the months go by; Christmas will be here soon although it's still October. I stand in front of a familiar building, its warm colors inviting me inside. Sweet Desire was the coffee shop's name, and it is owned by my aunt Jenn. It's not big but it is quite popular in the area. I went inside and was welcomed by the warmth of the place and the smell of pastries. It made me instantly regret locking myself out but when you feel like your world's falling apart, it can't be helped.

I looked around to look for Lilith, my bestfriend who finally was able to convince me out of my misery. It wasn't hard to find her since not a lot of people here have short platinum blonde hair. She was on the counter waiting for her coffee, so I went to sit beside her, startling her in the process.

"Eva, you actually came! I thought I might need to drag you out of that miserable apartment of yours." She said, taking a bite out of a croissant.

"Well, I found that wallowing in sadness wouldn't really help. Also, I wanted to see you and the others again."

She gasped and crutched her chest dramatically, "Aww, you miss me! I mean of course, no one can resist not seeing this face."

I playfully rolled my eyes at her while she proceeds to laugh. She's just as cocky as ever. One of the baristas, Rhea came and handed Lilith her coffee. Her hands grazed Lilith's as she does so to which my bestfriend ignored.

"Thanks for the coffee Rhea, this tastes great." Lilith said after taking a sip. Rhea blushed at the compliment.

While she was stuck daydreaming about kissing my bestfriend, i cleared my throat loud enough for her to hear. She snaps her head towards me.

"Eva, you're here," she said, clearly not happy to see me.

"Can I order now?" I said while raising an eyebrow.

"Oh uh yes. Of course. The usual right?"

I smiled and nodded before she went to get my order. Rhea and I don't really get along that well since she has a massive liking to Lilith, and she thinks I'm an obstacle. I don't particularly like her getting all over my bestfriend either, so the feeling is mutual.

After she left, Lilith turned to me and said, "But in all seriousness though, are you like...okay now?"

"It still hurts and she hasn't completely escaped my mind but I'm trying you know?"

She only pursed her lips and ran her hand through her short hair, platinum strands mixed with brown entangles themselves as she does so.

"No offense Eva but Carrie's a bitch for leaving like that."

"I'm sure she as her reasons. I just wished she took the time to explain rather than just disappearing."

"You know, if you need a hitman, I'm more than willing to take the job." She said all smug.

"I'll think about it."

We talked more after that, mostly talking about our current projects and catching up. She looks a little different from the last time I saw her actually. Her hair is now above the shoulder and has grown out a bit, indicated by the dark brown roots above her head. She soon needed to go though because of work. Lilith is a tattoo artist and a very talented one at that. It's been her dream since highschool while mine is being an architect. She has been trying to make me get one but I'm too much of a coward for that. Needles? Fuck no.

After drinking the last drop of her coffee, she stood up. "Welp, as much as I want to talk more, I gotta go to work. If you want, we could go hang out next Saturday. You're not too busy right?"

"Yeah, I think I can get us time."

"Great! I gotta go. Don't miss me too much!" she said as she proceeds to walk up the stairs. The tattoo shop she works for is on the floor above so she's a frequent customer here.

"In your dreams!" I yelled and she flips me off.

"Eva?" a familiar voice said.

I looked up and there stood my aunt Jenn, grinning at me. Her blonde hair was tied in a ponytail and her blue eyes shining bright as ever. I'm very close with my aunt and she was my only friend back when we moved here from America years ago. See, my father's a filipino and my mom is from the states which explains why I'm so goddamn pale. I inherited my blue eyes from my mom which gained me a lot of attention back in school.

Anyways, aunt Jenn came with us and put up this coffee shop after she left her job as a homicide detective. Cool right? I guess being constantly exposed to death wore her down and she wanted a change of pace.

"It's been a while since I saw you! How's my favourite niece?"

"Doing a lot better than the last time you saw me." I chuckled nervously.

"Well that's good to hear. That girlfriend of yours was a bitch anyways. I immediately knew she was going to hurt you once I heard her name." She said, crossing her arms.

I rolled my eyes. "Not every girl who's named Carrie is a bitch aunt Jenn."

"I know that but my point still stands."

Aunt Jen used to date a girl named Carrie too who was a prosecutor. According to my aunt she was very toxic and would constantly belittle her. She was quite narcissistic too, but she also had some nice attributes which is why my aunt stayed with her for two years. Sadly, aunt Jenn found out she cheated on her with another detective while she was investigating a case. It was messed up.

"Had any contact with her as of late?" I asked her while Rhea was handing me my order. I thanked her to which she just rolled her eyes at me.

"No and I prefer it that way. I couldn't care less about what she's doing and how people are still groveling on the ground she stands on."

I simply nodded, not knowing what else to add.

"Oh I just remembered! Layla, come here!" she calls out and came a beautiful girl that I haven't seen before. She must be a new employee.