ᯓ★Not Like Other Girls

[Date: 10/30/2020] 

I stand in front of the mirror and glance at myself, slowly rotating to take a look at my whole body.

Ugh, I look horrible but what can I do? I better stop looking at myself and get to school already so I won't be late. Ella must be waiting for me.

I grabbed my bag, ran out of the door and went out of the house.

I meekly walk in the hallways to head to class, keeping my head low to avoid eye contact with anybody. I glance from side to side, seeing if anyone notices me but it doesn't seem so. I'm overly conscious of my looks and I hate it when I see someone looking at me because it feels like I'm being judged.

I step inside the classroom, looking around for Ella and I just saw her playing with her phone in the corner. I put my bad down and sat beside her.

"I'm surprised you're not late this time. You usually come right after the teacher enters the room." She said as she puts down her phone.

"Well, I don't want my grades to suffer because of my tardiness. Plus, we're heading to Senior High soon. I just want to be more productive."

"Seriously Aria, why do you spend so much time in front of that mirror? You're not one of THOSE girls, aren't you?" she said, slightly leaning towards me.

"N-No. It's not that, I just wake up late." I lied.

The school bell rang and the rest of the class enters the room. The teacher came shortly after and we start class like usual.

It's lunch break time and we're currently in the canteen to eat lunch. Ella and I sat down on a table on the far-right corner of the area. It's quite loud inside the canteen despite the large space. The talking, the chatting, the footsteps and the canteen ladies yelling, the room is buzzing with people.

On our right, quite near the center is a table of girls laughing as they fuss over each other's hair and make-up. One of them brings out a pink lip gloss out of her pretty white bag and I watch as she puts it on. She continued chatting with her friends right after.

"Psh, those girls am I right? With their make-up, skirts and dresses. Good thing we're not like that. We're better than them." Ella said with a smirk.

"Yeah. They think they look good, but they just look like clowns. They're so full of themselves." I responded and we laughed.

"They're so dramatic it's sickening. All they care about is looks and boys. It disgusts me." She said. This is a usual conversation between us. We would talk about other girls in our class. They're all just a bunch of judgmental pricks that has nothing better to do in life. I never talked to any of them but I've met a few before so my point still stands.

I remembered there was a book I was planning to borrow from the library today so I excused myself and headed there. I trail my hands across the books looking for it. It was at the top shelf so I went to reach for it but another hand also did the same. We looked at each other as our hands are on the same book. She let go of it first.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know you were going for it too." She gave me an apologetic smile.

I took a good look at her. She had curly hair that falls down below her shoulders, bouncing at her every movement. Her skin is nut brown and so does her eyes. On her face I found traces of make-up. Great. She's one of them.

"You can have it if you want to. I'll borrow it after you finish it." She said.

Why is she being nice? Must be an act. I forgot, they're plastics. They act all nice and pure when in truth their horns could be longer than the devil himself.

"Ugh, just take it. Don't try to act all nice like that. It's pointless." I gave her the book. She just looked at me in confusion. Why would she be confused though? Is it because I saw right through her? Whatever it is, it doesn't matter. I quickly left the library and went straight to the classroom.

I thought I had seen the last of her, but I was wrong. A week later, at the opposite of the hall, I saw her waving at me. She runs towards me, her hair bouncing behind her back.

"I thought I'd never see you again. Here." She handed me the book. "I'm already finished with it." She said, smiling.

I took the book from her awkwardly, "Thank you?"

"You seemed to really want to read it so I took the liberty to give it to you personally although I was confused about what you said yesterday."

"I – " before I could reply, the bell rang.

"Ooh! There's the bell. I better get going. Nice seeing you!" she said waving at me as she leaves.

What the heck is up with that girl?

"Who's that?" a voice behind me said. I turned around and it was Ella.

"Some girl I met at the library. Too lazy to explain." I said as we make our way to the classroom.

"Are you guys friends or something?"

"No. Of course not. Why would I be friends with her?"

"I'm just asking. You never know, she could as well be a huge bitch that'll ruin your life."

"Yeah...thanks." I said before going entering the room.

Honestly, she doesn't seem like one but you never know. They are good at lying afterall.

"By the way, the music club is recruiting new members. Are you going to join?" Ella asked as we sat down.

The music club is handing out auditions to those who wanted to join. I can play the piano and I like to songwriter in my free time so I 'm trying decide whether I should join or not. 

"I'm still deciding if I want to. I'm not really sure if I'm good enough to join."

"Aw c'mon girl, of course you're talented enough. You'll fit right in." she gave me a thumbs up, I smiled.

"I guess you're right. I'll try auditioning tomorrow. Hopefully I get in."

"You WILL get in. I'm already calling it. When you do, be careful of those catty girls that think they can sing." Then she laughed, I just rolled my eyes.

Once I got home after school, I immediately went to my desk brought out my notebook filled with songs I've been writing since middle school. most of my early works are a bit cringy but they are dear to me and is a reminder of how much I improved. 

I opened it and flip through the pages until I landed on the current song I'm writing.