30: Xenia.

I had been so wrapped up in causing trouble with April that I completely neglected to keep track of Romano's comings and goings. It's not like he was not extraordinarily stealthy; it's just that without April egging me on, I normally had enough time to pay attention to his whereabouts. Let's face it, most of his destination was probably Kate Hewitt's bedroom.

She was pregnant, not incapacitated, for Christ's sake. But what would I know? I had never carried a child in my womb before, never experienced what it felt like to be doing it while the man was sheltering another woman around.

But back to my point, it was because of April that I had missed most of Romano's movements and calls, and now I found myself utterly clueless about where we were moving to.

"Pack your things," he had said with a cold, monotonous voice, "we were leaving in ten."

I had finished packing and was now waiting. He fancied himself some kind of lord and master who dictated everything without diplomacy, didn't he? Hell, he was. He didn't tolerate opinions or opposition; he demanded immediate assent. I had learned to stop arguing, and recalling April's advice before she left, I had learned not to engage with him.

If we maintained our distance, maybe we could keep the peace. But honestly, I was only causing more harm to myself. It was twisted, really. I hadn't forgiven him for Kate and had no plans to do so in the near future, but at the same time, I wanted to stop hurting by forgiving him, knowing it would only lead to embracing him without putting an end to him and Kate.

He was the one in a mess here, not me.

He had said ten minutes, but it had already been fifteen by my count. To distract myself from the unanswered questions about our departure, I began to double-check my surroundings, making sure I hadn't forgotten anything. As I emerged from the bathroom, I found him encroaching on my space.

His demeanor towards me was curt, snapping his fingers and barely sparing me a glance. At least he didn't make me lug my box around; he ordered someone else to do it for me. Stepping into the hallway, I noticed it wasn't just a favor for me. Another man was holding Katie's carrier bag. She had only been here for three nights and already had belongings. Quite at home, I'd say.

I had thought she had come just to deliver news, but now she was trailing us like an eager shadow.

I tasted bile rising in my throat.

As we reached the car park, I noticed an extra car waiting. It was clear we couldn't all fit into one vehicle. Suddenly, I was eager to get into the car where Katie was already leaning.

I watched Romano walk towards the Audi driven by Max. They started a conversation, Romano's back turned to me while Max's attention was on him. It was my first and only chance to be alone with Katie, so I seized it.

Leaning against the car's trunk, I positioned myself closer to her. Though I was facing her and Max, the distance was just right on this end. She could hear me, but they couldn't.

It seemed she sensed the significance of my proximity because she spoke first. "Xenia."

It took everything in my willpower not to cuss at her. "Kate," I said simply, "you seem to be at getting comfortable around these ends. Hm? I leave you and him in Bologna, and you find your way down here to ruffle my feathers. Classic."