❁Chapter One❁

KATY

...And just like that, the Grand Canyon became one of my favorite places to visit. It is where I felt the most freedom and I highly recommend. I finish typing onto my computer.

God I love Saturday mornings, it's like the one day I actually want to wake up. So today I woke up very early, made myself some caramel iced coffee and sat down and worked on writing my blog. Now I sit curled up in my desk chair, admiring my newest blog about the time I went to Arizona. I grab the scrunchie on my desk and tie my light brown hair into a messy bun.

My blog Daily Katy has been pretty successful since I started it last year. The only people who actually read it are my two best friends and a bunch of yoga moms. My theory is that the moms are following a teenager who enjoys the same hobbies to make them feel cool, either way they're nice. I'm just glad my entire school doesn't know about it. Daily Katy would go around like a case of scarlet fever in the 1800s. I wouldn't blame them, a teenager writing about how much they like yoga, hiking and travelling is a little mom-ish.

At the end of my blog post I add a selfie of myself at the top of the Grand Canyon and then press post. I close the tab to open up spotify and play my everyday Billy Joel playlist.

I sing the lyrics of "Vienna" while I get up to change out of my pjs and into jeans and a green baby tee. I perfect my messy bun and add golden hoops, then I'm ready for the day. My phone buzzes on my desk and I flop back into my desk chair and swivel around. Of course it's Three Little Pigs, which is the name of our group chat. My best friends I mean, as in the best in the world.

Maria: Katy why are you up so early?

I laugh as she sends another text.

Maria: Your blog was amazing btw, but how does your brain work that good this early?!

Me: The double standards are CRAZY. You're up early too yk.

Maria: Didn't sleep well.

Constance: WTF guys?! You woke me up!!!!

Me: LOL turn your notifications off.

Constance: No way, I always leave it on for emergencies!

Maria: How was your party last night, Connie? Hungover?

Constance: I have the biggest headache of my life. Dying for coffee.

Me: I just made homemade caramel Iced coffee.

Constance: Oh fuck off. I'm jealous.

I laughed out loud.

Maria: Tasty!

Constance: What is the right way to pronounce Caramel? Don't people like to pronounce it differently in different places? Like I've heard people pronounce it Carmel. Without the ara.

Me: This is a difficult conversation on text. You'd have to sound it out in person because I'm just confused.

Constance: Yeah I'm even confusing myself.

A text comes through at the top of my screen, and I actually groan. That is the last person I want to hear from today.

Me: Holy fuck guess who just texted me!

Maria: Who?! Billy Joel?

Me: Oh shut up!

Of course she brings up my obsession, I WISH it was him.

Constance: Good one Maria LOL.

Me: I wish. Derek...

Maria: WHAT.