❁Chapter Three❁

MARIA

Fuck. I curse under my breath as I look down at my bloody finger. I slide open a cabinet at my desk and pull out a bandaid. I don't think I have ever pricked myself so many times.

I am moving as fast as lightning trying to get this new shirt done. I designed this shirt last week for a night out and today is the perfect day for it since me and the girls are going out on the boardwalk. There is just a few seams to sew. But now that Constance decided to wait outside for me, I have to hurry up.

I am sewing so fast that I am missing the shirt and sewing my finger. I have bandaids on practically all my fingers now. My playlist plays softly in the background.

I am making a off the shoulders white tube top, but I am sewing on puffy sleeves. I plan on styling it with jeans and a white bandana.

I am excited to go flowers shopping at the boardwalk because it's my Nana's wedding anniversary in a few days and wanted to get her a bouquet. She owns "SeamSavvy" which is the fabric shop I help her work at.

I am so close to finishing my top, I just have to quickly sew the second sleeve on. Praying I got the measurements right and it fits me.

My wall next to me is cluttered with my designs, I just finished creating my portfolio to submit for London College of Fashion. It's my dream school but the only way I could afford it is through a scholarship. So a few weeks ago Nana helped me put together my best work to apply for LCF. I really hope I get it and I should find out in a few weeks.

I am really sad to leave Ottawa and my best friends, but ever since I was a little girl I've wanted to go to fashion school. My Nana raised me and wanted to help me live my dreams so we moved out of Mexico and into a location with better sales. We found a good place in Ottawa in a community called Sand fields and ever since this place has felt like home. Nana has been saving up for my college funds but it's not even close to enough for a full tuition for LCF.

I moved here when I was 12, going into grade 7 at Sandfields Junior High. During the first week there:

I am looking for a place to sit in the cafeteria and usually I sit in the back corner but today it is taken. So I decide to turn around and try to hopefully find another place. Walking through the isles with my food tray in hand, all the heads turn in my direction. Why is everyone looking at me? I feel embarrassed.

I head towards the door but then I'm suddenly blocked by a huge figure.

"Where do you think you're going brace face?" He said. Fear shakes me. I recently got braces since I moved here. I wanted something cool and unique. Something that could match my designs. So I decided on getting rainbow colours across my teeth. 

"Um.." I hesitate, I don't want to talk to him. What I want is to crawl into a hole and die. Everybody in the cafeteria looks at me. I try to scurry away, but more of his friends come into the picture. Suddenly the boy slaps the tray out of my hand and all the food goes flying; All over my face and my new denim dress I just made. I look around for help. Where are the teachers around here? 

"What's your name?" He spits at me.

I'm not sure what to do so I answer him quietly, "Maria."

"Well, Maria you should go back to where you came from." My heart sinks to my feet. Tears well in my eyes. Nana thought Canada was safe from hurting me for my heritage, but Nana can't hide me from every bad person in the world. He continues, "Oh and brush your hair. It's a mess."

My curly hair is hard to contain in general and is extra hard to handle in the new humidity of Canada. Lately my curls have been sticking up in every which way and now I just realize how embarrassing that is. I feel a single tear running down my face and quickly wipe it away before anybody notices. But it seems I was too late.