❁Chapter Eight❁

AUTHORS NOTE:

I have updated the end of Chapter Seven, so please make sure you read the ending of that because it leads into this chapter. Thank you! Have fun!

CONSTANCE

Dear Reader,

You have been invited by Kieran and Katy Simmons to the grandest party of the year. The theme of this party is masquerade, so wear your most fabulous mask. Make people have to guess. Wear your most scandalous outfit, who cares? Nobody will know who you are. And don't reveal your face.

To be allowed in, you must show your identity at the door for safety precautions.

24 Lemon Dr.

9pm

Saturday, March 29th

See you there!

I read the invitation Katy emailed me a few days ago. Masquerade? That's the best idea ever. Besides the list of course. It will be so much better for our challenges if we don't know who is who. Katy also said she invited a lot of new people from the schools around us. I'm excited.

It's saturday morning now, and I blast my party playlist in my airpods. Of course today is the perfect day for it. Katy usually gives me the Aux at parties because of course my music taste is superior. Today we planned on going to Dollarama and picking out masks and jewels to decorate them. Then we get ready at Katy's house.

I already have my outfit picked out, it's a golden tube top with a matching mini skirt. It has lots of fringe and sparkles. I plan on finding golden jewels for my mask.

My phone rings, interrupting my music. It's Maria, facetiming the group.

"Good Morning guys!" She says when both of us answer. It appears she is in the driver seat of the car.

"Get off your phone, you're driving!" I yell at her through the phone.

She makes a face, "I'm still in the driveway, Connie. I'm not an idiot."

I rub my eyes, oh yeah. She isn't moving and you can see her house in the back. My brain doesn't work this early.

"Connie are you still in bed?" Katy asks, her phone propped on her desk. She is clearly typing into her computer, probably her blog.

"I am on my bed, not in it. Big difference. I woke up like a long time ago!" I exclaim.

"So like ten minutes ago?" Katy teases.

I laugh, "exactly."

"Well I'm leaving now to get you guys now." Maria tells us.

"OK." Katy replies while I give her a thumbs up.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

We sit on Katy's floor while hot gluing cheap gems onto plastic masks we bought at the dollar store. I've burned myself about a hundred times in the past five minutes, I am clearly terrible at this. But Maria is a natural, she is almost done.

"What are you guys wearing?" I ask them. We are all wearing sweats and hoodies and brought our outfits in a separate bag. Maria bought a bunch of red decorations for her maks, feathers, mesh, and flowers. White Katy bought a pack of random coloured gemstones, so I have no idea what kind of outfit she is wearing.

"I'm wearing brown because I want this rainbow mask to stand out." Katy says. I look at her mask, which is a mess of glue and random gems placed around. I mean it looks better than mine. Katy pulls her outfit out of her bag. It's a dark brown satin mini dress with cutouts to show some skin. She also pulls out long gloves.

"I'm wearing an old dress I made." Maria pulls out the most gorgeous dress I have ever seen, a red lace mini dress with a built in corset. She also pulls out a feathered hand-held fan which is also red. I have never seen this girl wear a dark colour before, let alone a dark seductive red.

"Oh my god." My mouth hangs agape. Katy is speechless.

Her mask is beautiful too. She painted the main part the same shade of red and one side is filled strategically with gemstones, feathers, flowers, etc. She also put mesh, which covers the rest of her face. Maria ignores out surprise.

"Connie, I think you should line up those golden gems so they hang off your mask." She says to me.

"You are not changing the subject, what the hell. There is no way you are not going to get kissed tonight." I say.

"Agreed." Katy agrees with me.

"Guys I am not letting my first challenge be my first kiss." Maria shakes her head embarrassed. "Seriously Connie, you should do that gem thing I was saying."

I allow the subject change with an eye roll, "I am nowhere near talented enough to do that, you do it."

We finish the masks and do each other's hair. Mine down in my short bob, Katy curled hers and Maria put her curly hair in a bun. Katy also glues, safely, her extra rainbow gems to her arms for some reason. She laughed the entire time she did it. Maria was right, the hanging gems in front of my face really makes the outfit.

Maria looks out of this world. Her corset accentuates her body and she wears tall heels which brings her to around my height. If i didn't know what her outfit was in advance, I wouldn't have known it was her, for her mask covers her face entirely. Her dark eyes are the only thing shown, gleaming brightly from her mask.

The sun has a set which means the party is starting.

After obsessing over Maria, I ask Katy a question. "On the invitation it says that somebody is checking who comes in at the front. Who is doing that?"

"Kieran is going to do it." Katy says.

"Oh he isn't going to party?" I ask, with a confused face.

"He said he would rather it be our night because of the list. I have to watch everybody inside though, since he is out there. I'm not drinking." She shrugs. "Are we all ready?"

Maria and I nod, then walk out of Katy's room. That's when we run into Kieran, who is wearing a grey blazer and greg lace mask.

"Hey-" His voice catches and he clears his throat. "Um, you want to get the music ready? I'm going to make my way to the front because some of the team is on the way now."

"Yeah, Constance is in control of the music." Katy tells him. Kieran doesn't even look at me, he stares at the floor. He nods then leaves right away. Katy brings me to the speakers and I plug my phone into the aux.

I play Get Back by Britney Spears.