a heartbeat away

Warning: Major character death!

"In the shadowed realm of demons, love blooms-a fragile flame that refuses to be extinguished."

---🦋---

The forest swallowed us whole, its ancient trees leaning in like curious spectators. The moon, a silver coin, hung low, casting shadows that danced with our hurried steps. I cradled her in my arms, her weight both a burden and a lifeline. Her name-Shinobu Kochou-echoed in my mind, a prayer whispered to the night.

Her blood stained my haori, a crimson map of her struggle. Her eyes, once fierce and determined, now fluttered like moth wings. She was fading, and I was desperate to keep her tethered to this world.

We were demon slayers, bound by duty and destiny. Our blades sang through the darkness, but tonight, we were the hunted. The demon had caught us off guard, its claws tearing through Kochou's flesh. I fought it off, but not before it sank its venomous fangs into her shoulder.

"Stay with me," I murmured, my breath hitching. "We'll find help soon."

Her lips curved, a fragile smile. "You're a terrible liar, Tomioka-san."

I stumbled over a root, my heart pounding. How many times had I wanted to tell her? To confess the love that had grown like ivy around my soul. But the timing was never right-between battles and bloodshed, there was no room for tender words.

Kochou's head lolled against my chest. "Tomioka-san," she whispered, her voice a fragile thread. "I've always known."

My steps faltered. "Known what?"

"That you love me." Her eyes fluttered shut. "And I love you too."

The forest whispered secrets-the rustle of leaves, the distant howl of a wolf. I pressed my lips to her forehead, tasting salt and sorrow. "Why didn't we say it sooner?"

"Timing," she murmured. "Always the damn timing."

I carried her deeper into the night, the moon our only witness. The demon's venom seeped through her veins, stealing her strength. But her fingers clung to mine, a lifeline in the abyss.

"Kochou," I choked out. "If we survive this-"

"We will," she interrupted. "Together."

Her breaths grew shallow, and I willed my love into her, as if sheer force could heal her wounds. The unspoken words hung between us-a confession suspended in time.

As dawn approached, we stumbled upon a clearing-a forgotten shrine, its stone steps leading to an ancient altar. Shinobu's eyes fluttered open, her gaze hazy but determined.

"Promise me," she whispered. "If I don't make it-"

"You'll make it," I insisted.

"-if I don't," she persisted, "promise me you'll live. Find love and maybe talk a little more. Don't waste it like we did."

Tears blurred my vision. "I can't lose you."

"You won't." She pressed her lips to mine, a kiss both desperate and gentle. "But if I do, remember this night-the moon, the forest, our unspoken love."

As the dawn painted the sky, she stirred in my arms, her body convulsing. "Go," she urged. "Live."

I laid her head on my shoulder, cradled and hugged her fragile body to feel her warmth one last time, my heart shattering into a million pieces.

"I love you," I whispered, the words finally free.

She smiled, her hand reaching for mine. "A heartbeat away," she said.

And then she was gone - a wisp of smoke, a memory etched into my soul.

---🌊---