rain-kissed confession

Sometimes the stormy skies bring clarity to matters of the heart.

--🦋--

The rain fell in torrents, a tempest that swallowed the world. Shinobu stood at the edge of the forest, her heart pounding. Giyuu had been gone for two days, and worry gnawed at her insides. His mission had been treacherous—a nest of demons deep in the woods. She'd wanted to accompany him, but he'd insisted she stay behind. Now, her anger fueled her determination. She wouldn't lose him.

Shinobu plunged into the forest, her haori clinging to her frame. The trees whispered secrets, their leaves dripping with rain. She called out his name, her voice swallowed by thunder. The path grew treacherous, the ground slippery. She stumbled, her foot slipping over the edge of a cliff.

Her scream echoed through the forest, but before she could fall, strong arms wrapped around her waist. Giyuu pulled her back, his chest heaving. Rain plastered his hair to his forehead, and his eyes—those cerulean depths—held a mix of relief and fury.

"Kocho!" he growled, "What were you thinking?"

She pushed against his chest, her anger flaring. "You left without me," she accused. "I should have been there."

He clenched his jaw. "It was too dangerous."

"You could have died!" Her voice cracked, and she hated how vulnerable she felt.

Giyuu's gaze bore into hers. "And what about you? You're always angry, always pushing yourself. This mission—it was a nightmare. I took shelter in a cave, injured and barely conscious. But you—"

"But me what?" Shinobu's anger melted into guilt. "I'm sorry."

He shook his head. "You're reckless. You could have fallen. You could have—"

"I love you!" The words slipped out, raw and unfiltered. The rain blurred her vision, but Giyuu's expression froze. "I love you," she repeated, her voice softer. "And I can't bear the thought of losing you."

His fingers brushed her cheek, raindrops mingling with tears. "Shinobu." he whispered.

And then, in the heat of the moment, he kissed her. His lips were rain-kissed, desperate, and she tasted salt and salvation. The world faded—the storm, the forest—until there was only Giyuu, his warmth seeping into her skin.

When they finally broke apart, their breaths ragged, he gently cupped her face. "I love you too," he confessed. "I've loved you since the moment I saw you on our first mission together. I loved the way you always came to talk to me during our meetings. I enjoy it when you poke me and tease me for being silent. I adore it when you scold me for being careless while tending to my wounds. I'm sorry that I told to not accompany me on this mission. It's not because I don't believe in your abilities. It's because a small selfish part of me that wants to keep you safe. I'm sorry that I don't speak to you more often. But Shinobu, if there's any person in this world that I'm capable of loving with my whole heart, then it is you! I love you so much."

Shinobu laughed, her heart soaring, eyes brimming with tears. She lunged forward, tightly wrapping her hands around his shoulder, tiptoe-ing on her feet to match his height. Giyuu took a few steps back, still processing the tiny weight that launched itself on him and then he hugged her back, gently lifting her small frame off the ground inorder to hug her even more tightly.

He kissed her again, raindrops sliding down their faces. "You're heavy", he murmured. She giggled and lightly punched him with her clenched fist before burying her face again in his shoulder.

--🌊--