star festival

"Even the silent rivers can find their brilliance under the starlit sky."

--🦋--

The moon hung like a glowing coin in the dark sky, surrounded by countless twinkling stars, casting a silvery glow over the quaint village. Giyuu and Shinobu, their mission accomplished, found themselves strolling through the narrow streets, their footsteps echoing against the ancient cobblestones. The air was thick with anticipation-the annual Star Festival was about to begin.

Shinobu's eyes sparkled with excitement. She tugged at Giyuu's sleeve, urging him toward the heart of the festivities. Giyuu, ever stoic, followed her lead. The stalls were adorned with paper lanterns, their soft light dancing in the breeze. The scent of grilled skewers and sweet treats filled the air, enticing them both.

"Look, Tomioka-san!" Shinobu pointed at a row of food stalls. "Taiyaki! They're fish-shaped pastries filled with red bean paste. You have to try one."

Giyuu nodded, and they joined the queue. As they waited, Shinobu chattered on about the significance of the festival. "Legend has it that the stars descend to Earth during this time," she said. "People write their wishes on slips of paper and tie them to bamboo branches. The stars carry those wishes back to the heavens."

Giyuu watched the lanterns sway above them. He wondered what wish he would make-if he believed in such things. Perhaps for peace, or maybe just a moment of stillness in this chaotic world.

They moved on, Shinobu leading the way. "Yakitori," she said, pointing at another stall. "Grilled chicken skewers. And over there, takoyaki-octopus balls. They're crispy on the outside and gooey inside."

Giyuu sampled the takoyaki, its warmth spreading through him. Shinobu's enthusiasm was contagious, even if he didn't show it. She explained the intricate paper decorations hanging from the eaves, each one representing a different constellation. Giyuu listened, absorbing her words like a parched traveler drinking from a hidden spring.

As they wandered, they stumbled upon a fortune-telling booth. Shinobu's eyes gleamed. "Let's see what the stars have in store for us," she said. Giyuu hesitated, but Shinobu pulled him inside. The old woman behind the counter studied their palms, her gnarled fingers tracing invisible lines.

"You," she said, pointing at Giyuu, "are a silent river. Deep and unyielding." Her gaze shifted to Shinobu. "And you, my dear, are a comet-a fleeting brilliance."

Shinobu giggled. "That's accurate, isn't it, Tomioka-san?"

He nodded, unable to tear his eyes away from her. Shinobu was his comet, streaking across his life, leaving trails of light and warmth. He wondered if she knew.

They stepped back into the lantern-lit street. Shinobu leaned closer, her lips brushing his ear. "Make a wish, Tomioka-san," she whispered. "Even if you don't believe, just this once."

He closed his eyes, the world narrowing to a single point of light. And in that moment, he wished-for Shinobu's laughter, for the taste of takoyaki on his tongue, for the stars to remember this night forever.

As the festival reached its peak, they sat side by side, watching the fireworks burst overhead. Shinobu's hand found his, fingers entwining. Giyuu didn't need words; the stars whispered their secrets, and he listened.

In the quiet of that starlit night, Giyuu realized that sometimes wishes did come true-even for a silent river like him. And as Shinobu leaned against his shoulder, he vowed to hold onto this moment, this stardust memory, forever.

--🌊--