banters : part ii

--🦋--

Shinobu: (hopping on one foot) Tomioka-san, this river is treacherous! I can't swim, and my butterfly paperweight will sink me!

Giyu: (deadpan) It's a river, Kochou. Not a demon-infested swamp.

Shinobu: (splashing) Well, it's deep! And cold! And—oh no, my hairpin is floating away!

Giyu: (sighs, wades in) Kochou, just hold my hand.

Shinobu: (pouting) I don't need your help. I'm a Hashira, after all.

Giyu: (grabs her hand) You're also a terrible swimmer. Now stop flailing.

Shinobu: (clinging to him) Tomioka-san, your hand is so warm. Like a cozy campfire.

Giyu: (rolls his eyes) Focus on not drowning, Kochou.

Shinobu: (whispers) Tomioka-san, do you think we'll encounter demon fish? Maybe they'll have tiny fangs and—

Giyu: (pulls her to safety) Kochou, we're on the other side. You can let go now.

Shinobu: (still clinging) But what if there are demon leeches? Or—

Giyu: (lifts her out of the water) Kochou, you're dripping wet.

Shinobu: (grinning) Nevermind! You're my hero, Tomioka-san. My brooding, river-crossing hero.

Giyu: (muttering) I should've let you drown.

And so, in the middle of a river, with soggy clothes and a reluctant hero, Giyu and Shinobu continued their banter.

--🌊--

Giyu's idea of heroism involves minimal conversation and maximum eye-rolling.