companion

And sometimes, the best excuses are the ones that lead you back to where you belong.

--🦋--

Shinobu stood outside Giyuu's modest house, her heart fluttering like a trapped butterfly. It had been months—too many months—since she'd seen him. The last time was during that demon hunt in the mountains, when they fought side by side, their swords slicing through the darkness.

She hesitated, then knocked on the door. The wood creaked, and moments later, Giyuu stood there, his hair still as black as midnight, his eyes as inscrutable as ever.

"Kochou," he said, his voice a low murmur. "What are you doing here?"

She blinked, her mind scrambling for an excuse. "Oh, you know, just passing by. Thought I'd check if you were alive."

Giyuu raised an eyebrow. "Alive?"

"Yes!" She nodded vigorously. "You know, demons, swords, life-threatening situations. The usual."

He stepped aside, allowing her to enter. The house smelled of pine and solitude. "And what if I'm not alive?"

Shinobu shrugged. "Then I'd have to find a new sparring partner."
Giyuu led her to the kitchen, where a kettle sat on the stove. "Tea?"

"Sure." She watched him pour hot water into two cups. "So, how have you been?"

"Fine." His eyes flickered toward the window. "And you?"

"Fine too." She sipped the tea, the warmth spreading through her veins. "You know, I missed our banter. The way you scowl and pretend you don't care."

He leaned against the counter. "I don't pretend."

"Of course not." Shinobu grinned. "And I don't pretend to be interested in your well-being."

"Is that why you're here?" Giyuu asked. "To check on my well-being?"

"Partly." She twirled her cup. "Also, I heard rumors that you've taken up gardening."

His eyes narrowed. "Rumors?"

"Yes." She pointed to the window. "Your roses are lovely. Very... thorny."

Giyuu glanced outside, where a row of red roses bloomed. "They're just flowers."

"Of course." Shinobu leaned closer. "And I suppose that bonsai tree in the corner is just a random decoration?"

He shifted uncomfortably. "It's a hobby."

"Ah, yes." She nodded. "The stoic demon slayer, tending to bonsai trees. Very intimidating."

He scowled. "Why are you really here, Kochou?"

She hesitated, then blurted out, "Because I missed you, you idiot."

Giyuu blinked. "Missed me?"

"Yes." She took a deep breath. "Your brooding silences, your unreadable expressions. It's like a puzzle I can't solve."

He looked away. "I'm not good company."

"Maybe not." Shinobu touched his hand. "But you're my company."

And in that quiet kitchen, with the sun setting behind the horizon, they sat together—two broken souls, pretending they weren't lonely.

--🌊--