❊ Chapter three: Meeting her ❊

January 8th 2017

Scarlett

The morning after the girl had attempted to rob me, I was wracking my brain to try to figure out why I recognised her. And where I recognised her from.

"Oh my god," I groaned, rubbing my forehead.

"You alright?" Colin asked, walking into the kitchen.

"My brain does not want to work this morning," I grumbled.

He chuckled, causing me to stare at him with annoyance.

"You were incredibly drunk last night," Colin replied. "I'm surprised you even remember."

I shrugged. I stood up and said, "I'm gonna go get a coffee before I go to work."

"Alright, be careful love."

Colin came over to me and placed a kiss on my lips. I got my purse and put it in my small bag, along with my phone. I was careful to make it secure over my shoulder - just in case. I wasn't drunk anymore, but I still didn't trust the streets of New York. It was 10am; Rose had gone to daycare and I wasn't required to be on set until midday.

~~~✸~~~

I drove to The Mug & Muffin - one of my favourite coffee shops by far. They do an excellent black coffee. When I entered, it wasn't that busy. There were a few people sat in the booths, and I noticed a girl stood at the counter, talking to the barista who served me yesterday. Wait, the girl? I watched her and noticed her brunette hair was greasy, her clothes were shabby and dirty and she looked exhausted. My eyes narrowed as my brain worked.

"Holy jesus-" I muttered under my breath, realising she was the girl who had attempted to rob me yesterday.

I walked over to the counter, trying to not attract her attention. Seeing the state she was in, I doubted she had attempted to steal my bag just for fun. The same barista the girl was talking to noticed me and walked over.

"Hello again," she greeted with a smile.

I smiled back politely.

"Can I have a black coffee please?" I asked.

The barista nodded and I read her name tag. Angie. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the girl walk away from the counter into the corner booth, holding a cup and a brown bag in her hand.

"What pastries do you have?" I asked.

"We have brioche, butter croissants, chocolate croissants, beef pasties, chicken pasties, pork pasties, lamb pasties; take your pick," Angie replied with a smile.

"Could I have a butter croissant please?"

"Of course."

Angie took a croissant from the shelf and put it in a paper bag, then passed it across the counter, before going to make the coffee.

"Could I ask something?"

"Sure, go ahead love!"

"Who's that girl in the corner?"

Angie replied, "Oh she's a regular. She comes in every day for her latte and croissant. By the sound of it, she's not the best fed at home and sometimes can't afford it. But we can spare one croissant and a latte."

I listened to this with a nod. Angie seemed to not be bothered about telling me - whether that was a good thing or not I couldn't really judge.

"She's a young actor, you know?" Angie told me, putting a cup over my coffee and passing it to me.