❊ Chapter ten: February 3rd ❊

February 3rd 2017

Ray

It had been a week and a few days since the day I shot my first scene. Me and Scarlett had barely seen each other, as she was shooting a lot of her scenes and I was shooting mine. We only had two scenes where we were in the same room, but we weren't alone, as it was usually with Lizzie, Evans or Paul.

I was glad we hadn't had the time to be alone long enough for her to press me over that Monday night. I hadn't failed to notice all of her attempts to join me at lunch or during any free time, but I was avoiding her like she was the plague. Not just for that reason, but because I kept turning up at set with bruises and cuts. I had left messages from Scarlett unread, just in the hope she would think I had lost my phone or something and she would stop messaging me.

That day had been particularly tiring. I'd shot three scenes - one of which we had to redo multiple times due to either props stopping working or someone messing up their lines. Surprisingly, I had forgotten some of my lines and I could've kicked myself was it not for everyone near me. The filter Scarlett had brought helped my reading, but by now people had noticed I was using it. I got the question "are you dyslexic?" a lot now, and I didn't appreciate the attention. Finally, after the scene had been perfected, the gruellingly long day was over.

The last thing for the day was to change out of my costume and take my hair down from the half up-do it had been in. It was 7pm by the time I was ready, and I zipped my jacket up as I left the set. Chris Evans offered to give me a ride home but I declined. I just wanted to walk; despite the freezing weather.

Okay, I take that back. I should've taken up his offer.

~~~✸~~~

I shoved my essential belongings into my backpack with as much speed as my exhausted body could muster. I needed to get out of here as quickly as possible. Not just because I'd been told to get out, but because I couldn't stand living here for much longer. My phone was on charge in the outlet in the corner of the room - I didn't know the next time I'd be able to charge it. Surely Angie wouldn't let me use her phone charger all the time.

I heard the lock in my door click and the door was opened.

"Ray, my baby..."

I spun around and glared at the lean brunette woman standing in the doorway.

"What do you want mom?" I snapped.

"I want to help you," she half whispered, closing the door and walking over to me.

"You never helped me before, why would I need your help now?" I challenged, folding clothes as compactly as I could into my bag.

"Because I love you my baby..."

Mom went over to the bookshelf that only had a few books (I never really read books, as I couldn't even read them. The bookshelf just had piles of other random things on.) and searched through the piles for something.

I gritted my teeth bitterly as I packed. She loved me? Really? No, she damn well didn't. A mother who loves her daughter doesn't let her boyfriend abuse said daughter.

"Look," mom said, pushing a picture in my face.

It was of me and her when I was younger. I must've been 4 or 5 years old. Before David moved in.

"You've still got this, you must still know I love you," mom pressed.

I snatched the picture and tossed it down on the bed.

"I'm nearly 16 mom!" I snapped. "This is the last photo of me and you ever! Over a decade ago!"

"But-"