❊ Chapter nineteen - Departure of the Widow ❊

March 13th 2017

Ray

I arrived early on set that morning. By early, I meant 6:45am. Those who were going to Scotland for shooting were required to be there early so they could fly over for a certain time. NYC was still shrouded in darkness when I arrived, but thankfully the lights were on.

I walked to Scarlett's trailer, but I couldn't see any lights on, so I wandered around looking for any trailer with a light on. Eventually, I spotted one with light seeping out the window. I went over and knocked on the door.

The door opened, revealing Lizzie in a dull beige hoodie and black leggings. The dark bags under her eyes gave away her exhaustion, however her green eyes were bright.

"What are you doing here?" she asked with clear confusion. "You aren't coming with us... right?"

I shook my head quickly.

"No, I just wanted to know if you knew where Scarlett was," I replied. "Cause she isn't in her trailer."

Elizabeth smiled softly, before replying with, "I think she went to Evans' trailer."

"Thanks," I thanked her, before turning away.

"Hey Ray?"

I turned back around, head cocked, waiting for her to speak.

"Have you ever been to Scotland before?" she asked.

I shook my head. Lizzie pouted slightly, and said with a sigh, "I wish you could come, honestly."

I smiled slightly, fidgeting with my fingers.

"Same, but I've never been on a plane and I don't know if I'd like it," I replied.

"Well," Lizzie shrugged one shoulder. "Maybe one day you'll get to try it out."

"Maybe..." I trailed off, before bringing myself back to reality. "I'm gonna go find Scarlett anyway."

"Alright, see you next week," Elizabeth replied.

"Good luck with the shooting," I wished with a smile.

"You too!" Lizzie laughed as I walked away.

~~~~~~

I quickly found Evans' trailer and saw a light on, along with silhouettes moving about inside. Knocking on the door, I heard Evans call, "Door's unlocked, come in!"

I opened the door and stepped inside. Both actors looked surprised to see me there.

"What?" I asked. "Don't do a Lizzie please."

"What's a Lizzie?" Evans asked with a smirk.

"Thinking I was coming with," I replied with a small smile. "Cause I'm really not."

Scarlett chuckled from the couch, a cup of something in her hands.

"Why don't you come?" she joked. "You're small enough to fit inside a suitcase."

With mock offense, I put my hand to my chest and exclaimed, "I'm not that small!"

"You sure about that?" Evans asked, coming over to me.

He towered over my small 5'1" figure.

"Yeah," I replied with a grin, standing on my toes to give me an extra inch or so of height.

"Mmmm... still small," Chris chuckled.

"What about her?" I asked, pointing at Scarlett.

She laughed.

"She just never got her growth spurt," Evans replied.

"Seriously?" Scarlett gasped with a smirk, grabbing a cushion and lobbing it at Chris.

The man attempted to dodge the pillow, but still got hit by it. I sniggered.

"Hey, maybe being short isn't that bad," I said. "At least we can get out of the way of flying cushions."

"Ohhh yeah, sure," Chris replied.

I glanced at Scarlett and she quickly tested out this theory, throwing a second cushion at me. I easily dodged it.

"Seems like the little philosopher was right," she grinned, sipping her drink. "Anyways, why are you here? You have school later."

I flopped down beside Scarlett on the sofa and she put her arm around me.

"Because Scar, I wanted to see you before you left."

I watched as Evans hauled three suitcases off the bed. Two were black, one was purple, so I assumed one of them was Scarlett's.

"You didn't have to," Scarlett replied. "You'll be exhausted later."

I shrugged.

"I can always sleep in class."

Scarlett raised an eyebrow in a very motherly way. I raised my hands in surrender and assured, "Just in maths!"

She laughed as I settled back down on the sofa.

"Well, we need to go soon, so you came at just the right time," Chris said.

I smirked.

"Knew it!"

~~~~~~

I hugged Scarlett tightly, taking comfort in her warmth.

"I'll keep in contact," she assured me, hugging me back with her one free arm.

"Same," I agreed with a smile. "I can't believe it's already been 2 months since I met you."

"Me either Ray," Scarlett agreed. "It feels like I've known you forever, yet it only feels like a couple of weeks."

I nodded and was about to pull out of the hug when I felt her kiss my forehead gently. Taken aback by this gesture, I just blinked and pulled back. Scarlett was smiling.

"Sorry," she apologised, not looking sorry at all.

"No, no, it's fine," I replied, pulling myself together. "It was nice."

I smiled and saw Scarlett reciprocate it.

"If you make a decision before I come back, feel free to message me or call me," she reminded me.

I nodded.

"Now go get yourself home," she suggested.

"Oh, I brought my school stuff with me," I said, indicating to the bag slung over my shoulder.

Scarlett grinned.

"Go somewhere warm at least," she told me with a laugh.

I nodded and walked a little way away. Once I was relatively far away, I turned around and watched the group. The sky was still dark, so I could only really make out figures, but I still knew who they were. Elizabeth, Scarlett, Evans, Anthony Russo and Mackie, Paul Bettany and a few others. Chauffeur cars pulled up and I watched as everyone climbed into them, their luggage in the back.

Silently, I watched as the cars pull out of set.

This is it Ray. Pull yourself together, you've got a week to look after yourself.