❊ Chapter twelve: New home ❊

February 4th, 2017

Ray

Scarlett had provided me with a safe place to sleep that night, to which I was truly grateful. I didn't expect her to keep me in her house for any longer, so when she explained to me the next morning that I'd have to go somewhere else, I wasn't surprised.

"It's okay," I replied, fidgeting with my fingers. "I know I can't stay here."

"Ray, honestly, I'd love you to stay," Scarlett assured me, taking my hands gently as she crouched in front of me as I sat on the sofa.

"No, it's okay honestly," I said. "Don't worry about it. I'm really grateful for you letting me stay last night."

She smiled softly.

"I know this is gonna be hard, but I need you to tell me exactly what happened last night when you went home," Scarlett said, moving to sit beside me on the sofa.

I pulled my hands away from hers so I could tug on the hair tie that was around my wrist. She was right. I had to tell her, otherwise I might get sent back there to be abused all over again.

"Uhm well-"

"Mommy who's that?"

My eyes snapped onto the small girl that was stood in the room, eyes wide and looking between me and Scarlett. Scarlett herself turned and went over to the girl, kissing her forehead.

"That's Ray sweetheart," Scarlett said to the girl in a soft voice.

I saw Scarlett's husband - Colin - stood in the doorway. He smiled at me when he caught my gaze. I looked away. He didn't seem nasty, but I just had such a bad relationship with any man that came into my life that I just couldn't bring myself to even begin to trust him. Not yet.

"Rayyyy," the girl repeated my name. "Why is she on our couch?"

"She stayed over night," Scarlett replied.

The small girl's eyes were fixed on me, making me shift uncomfortably.

"Why?"

"Because she needed my help."

I was grateful to Scarlett for not telling the child much, and keeping her answers as vague as possible.

"Mommy I want breakfast," the little girl declared, moving her gaze from me to Scarlett.

"Hey, how about I make you pancakes?" Colin suggested, walking over to the little girl.

She cheered and clapped, then took Colin's hand as they walked away into the kitchen. Scarlett came back to sit beside me, a smile on her face.

"That's my daughter, Rose," Scarlett said. "Sorry if she made you uncomfortable."

"No, no it's fine," I replied. "She's only young. It's probably normal to be inquisitive."

Seeing Rose with Scarlett - the mother daughter relationship - it made me jealous. Why couldn't I have that with my mother? Scarlett didn't fall in love with an abusive man and his druggie son. She didn't let her daughter be hurt and force her to look after herself at 5 years old.

"What happened?" Scarlett asked. "You were just about to say before we got interrupted."

"Uhm well..." I hesitated.

I was ready before. Ready to tell her. Now I wanted to shrink away and ignore her question.

"Hey, it's okay," Scarlett assured me softly, shuffling ever so slightly closer. "Nobody's gonna hurt you here."